Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha Gauges - Trim Display Not Working

Dan, see part number 1 and 3.

Part number 1 is the collar that mounts on the steering tube. They often break and are easy to replace.

Part number 3 in the actual sensor that gets moved by the collar. The sensor can get stuck and requires regular lubrication.

Hotspot - I have the same issue, no change in the gauge when I trim up or down. Could you post a shot of what I am looking at on a 150 2 Stroke (2002)? I am hoping it is just a stuck sensor but haven't figured out what parts I should jiggle/lube yet. Thanks.

-Svence

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotspot - I have the same issue, no change in the gauge when I trim up or down. Could you post a shot of what I am looking at on a 150 2 Stroke (2002)? I am hoping it is just a stuck sensor but haven't figured out what parts I should jiggle/lube yet. Thanks.

-Svence

Same parts in the same location sir.

The manual says it should read 9 - 11 ohms resistance between the pink and black wire of the sensor. The harness plugs in over next to the the rigging opening near the front left (facing motor from boat) on an F150. The connector is white and has a little clip to keep it from pulling apart unintentionally. Someone correct me if I have anything incorrect here. HTH

post-2251-1242179553_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hotspot for the detail...Yamaha used a plastic actuator to press against the sender. Those broke. The new replacement is now stainless. It is a pretty easy replacement. Also with the key on have someone move the sender arm while someone watches the gauge. The gauge should drop from full up to a lower setting.

• 1 month later...

Hotspot-

I finally got around to replacing the collar on the tilt tube with the new stainless one but still can't get the trim gauge to work. The sender was stuck so I worked on that for a bit until it was loosened up, but still nothing. Is there anyway to tell if it is broken without just replacing it?

-Svence

this is a common problem on yami's which i've had and still have at times when i forget to lube the sensor.

Tilt the motor up, look for a depressed (as it's always stuck in the closed position) "plunger" type sensor close to the hinge point on one side that usually will come down on the engine mounting bracket. Get some penetrating oil or WD40 and spray and spray and spray and gently work that sucker down. It should be spring loaded and after lubing, be free to move as the engine tilts. your gauge should now read correctly the position of the engine(s).

this reminds me to spray some lube on the sensors before i take the boat out again.

Hotspot-

I finally got around to replacing the collar on the tilt tube with the new stainless one but still can't get the trim gauge to work. The sender was stuck so I worked on that for a bit until it was loosened up, but still nothing. Is there anyway to tell if it is broken without just replacing it?

-Svence

If you know how to measure OHMs with a multimeter, you can check test the sensor. As cheap as they are, I would just replace it. Call Andy, he'll fix you up.