Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Hi all,

I was having my twin 200's removed for repower on my Grady and my mechanic noticed that I may have a compromised transom. He had his fiberglass guy come out and look at it and he told me that it was completely compromised and that it was going to cost over 2100,00 . My question is ,,, does this seem to be a fare estimate or should I just buy another hull and repower to it,. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I rebuilt transom on my late '80s Grady Seafarer some years back. It was a large amount of work, and I would never do another for $2100. If you choose to have someone do this rebuild for you, get some references from past customers to be sure they know what they are doing. It would be very easy to do a halfazzed repair that won't hold up. Only you can decide if your hull is worth repairing, but before committing to do transom, have stringers, bulkheads, deck, etc. checked for similar damage. If repair person checks out, and prior customers seem satisfied, I'd think $2100 was a good price. Be sure to get explanation of how rebuild will be done, and guarantee of work. Just my opinion.

Edited by VeroWing