Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Help with sounder, please

Hello all - The display is an Lowrance lcx-111hd. It seems to read pretty well in shallow water of 40ft or less, but there is a lot of clutter at the top:

63BD88CF-1A88-4E2C-9A27-018272227D28_zps

As I get to deeper water I lose the bottom on the graph, but the digital data still reads a bottom, sorry this one is split screen:

B8389F76-53D7-46B4-A20C-3876E1A07C1C_zps

Passing through 200-250 ft. I loose all bottom info.

This is a new boat to me. Is this the transducer?anyone know what kind?

C51CCBEC-EBD9-4E93-AD5D-DDFB9BC8CE60_zps

On my old(sold) boat I had an 12 yr old Garmin 178C and I could read bottom up to 700-800 feet without problem. I'm assuming my new setup should perform at least that well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

I would say for the surface clutter on top there is a setting i think it is surface clarity or something like that. Turn it up some should take care of most of that. Then you can go up with the sensitivity to help with the detail and seeing the bottom. And if that is the transducer the install job looks bad. Looks like they siliconed a transducer to the bottom and are shooting thru the hull. When installed right that cuts the sensitivity way down. I had that unit on my boat was a good unit i upgraded to a touch screen when it died a year or so ago.

4348AF5C-836F-4404-82E5-6A4DEDE2ABC0_zps

Is your range set to automatic?

Thanks Brian, I have set it to both auto and manual for the depth I was at. Neither worked.

I would say for the surface clutter on top there is a setting i think it is surface clarity or something like that. Turn it up some should take care of most of that. Then you can go up with the sensitivity to help with the detail and seeing the bottom. And if that is the transducer the install job looks bad. Looks like they siliconed a transducer to the bottom and are shooting thru the hull. When installed right that cuts the sensitivity way down. I had that unit on my boat was a good unit i upgraded to a touch screen when it died a year or so ago.

I have messed with the sensitivity settings to no avail, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm thinking you are right about the transducer. Are you sure the item in the picture is the transducer? I don't know what else it could be.

Kilowatt is right about the ducer. I would suggest replacing it with a B60 thru-hull. that should help your performance significantly.

Thanks Jim, Can you tell if that is indeed the transducer? Any idea what model it might be, just out of curiosity?

Also I see you are recommending the B60, which I will likely take your advice(and get it from you), but is there a "shoot through" transducer that is worth installing. You know how some boaters get nervous with holes below the waterline.

There is a surface clarity turn that up to help with the top of the screen. Then manually turn up sensitivity to help with the bottom. Also see what your ping speed is set at. I run mine wide open. But the transducer will probably help more than anything.

www.lowrance.com_Root_Lowrance-Documents_LCX-110C_LCX111CHD_LCX-25C_LCX-26CHD0151-311_030705.pdf

www.lowrance.com_Root_Lowrance-Documents_LCX-110C_LCX111CHD_LCX-25C_LCX-26CHD0151-311_030705.pdf

Edited by kilowatt

The P79 has the same guts as the B60, but the hull does reduce your range.

That is the ducer in your pic.

What do you think I should be getting as far as depth coverage with the current setup and how much should it improve with the B60? I just want to make sure my expectations are not out of wack.

Also, on your B60 installation videos, what hull is that?

There is a surface clarity turn that up to help with the top of the screen. Then manually turn up sensitivity to help with the bottom. Also see what your ping speed is set at. I run mine wide open. But the transducer will probably help more than anything.

Thank you Kilo - I will adjust those settings next time I get the chance to get out on the water.

Edited by ndb8fxe