Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

How to Adjust Water Level in Livewell?

Hello - I'm looking for ideas on how to adjust the water level in my livewell. The well currently has a drain at the bottom, an overflow at the top and an inlet. The well is very deep and if I only have a few baits or shrimp in there, the amount of water in the well is way overkill. I would like to only fill the well half way in many cases but can't figure it out.

I've had other wells in the past with the white pvc tube where the length of the tube set the level of the well. This well just has a flush drain at the bottom of the well with a grate over it. I thought about adding a drain fitting with the pvc tube but I would have to do a lot of modification to the well to replace the drain fittings.

Am I missing something on how this well is supposed to work and is there a way to only partially fill it but keep the pump running?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I'll need to change out the fitting in the bottom of the well to add a standpipe. The current drain fitting has a strainer over the top of it so it would need replaced. Sounds like that's the route I need to go.

Only other idea I can come up with is adding a second drain fitting half way up the side of the well with a separate valve. I would keep the upper drain fitting as it is without a valve for overflow protection. When I only want the well half full, I would just open the valve on the middle fitting. Seems simple enough.

Mike

I'll get some pictures of the well this weekend. The set up is very simple. Water inlet at the top, valved drain at the bottom and an overflow drain on the sidewall near the top. That's it. No standpipe or anything. Just flip the switch and the well fills to the top. It's a very large well and if I only have a few dozen shrimp, I don't really need to fill it.

I'll get some pictures of the well this weekend. The set up is very simple. Water inlet at the top, valved drain at the bottom and an overflow drain on the sidewall near the top. That's it. No standpipe or anything. Just flip the switch and the well fills to the top. It's a very large well and if I only have a few dozen shrimp, I don't really need to fill it.

Is the drain on a ball valve or gate valve type set up ?? If so maybe slightly open it and put some screen, so shrimp do not get sucked down ?? Kinda balance it on drain vs fill