Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Los Cabos - Rated "R"

Los Cabos - Rated "R"

I'm going off on a rant! If a couple of swear words or a very pointed view offend you just click on by.
Hurricane Odile is old news now and thanks to the Mexican government and the hard working people of Baja the best part of the mess it made has been cleaned up. Yes, there was impact that will take more time for some things to get back to normal but a huge percentage of the businesses that serve our tourist trade in Los Cabos are ready to rock and roll.
What has impacted many of these businesses most is the closure of SJD airport. Yesterday the airport opened for domestic flights but won't open until the 8th for international. With SJD closed for more than 2 weeks La Paz airport is the only option to fly here. The problem with that is no direct flights are offered from the US so travelers have to get to San Diego and make their way across the border to Tijuana or fly through Mexico City or Guadalajara to get to La Paz. Whichever route you choose, it is just not easy and then there is the couple hour taxi ride to Los Cabos. That is not to mention what an armpit the La Paz airport is.
Alaska and Southwest made a huge deal and tooted their horn about the humanitarian flights they provided to evacuate stranded tourists out of Cabo. I say big woop! They brought them in, and in my mind, had some duty to jump in and help get them out. Once the evacuation was over Alaska showed their true colors and suspended all flights to Los Cabos until November. Other airlines have jumped on the band wagon canceling flights throughout October. Now Alaska has thrown Los Cabos a bone offering one flight a day from Los Angeles but San Diego and all other destinations are still cancelled.
The bulk of Los Cabos economy is tourist driven and everybody is choking. Worse yet, even after the airport opens the greed of many airlines has made them choose not to fly. If they can't fly full they are just canceling flights. Few tourists are here so the first planes in will have to dead head back empty. The airlines would rather just cancel flights and drop the good people of Los Cabos on their heads, cutting off their life blood until a fat profit can be made.
For Christ sake! Yesterday a cruise ship made port in the Cabo Marina and the airlines don't want to fly. I know in time this will become a distant memory but hope this writing will remind some how poorly the airlines treated us.
Copied here is an email I woke up to yesterday:
Hi Guys,
I took my wife to dinner last night to celebrate putting the tournament to bed and the great response we have had in light of all that has stood in our way.
Then my phone rang. It was one of my team captains. United airlines had cancelled our flight once again and re-booked us all over the US.
They had some of us coming in on the 9th some on the 10th. Routing us through up to 4 cities. the longest one I heard was 29 hours.
I went home got on the phone with united. my wife started calling guys. We found a red eye out of Houston and got almost everybody re-booked. I don't know if I can get them all.
As it stands we are still coming on Oct 8th and staying till the 12th.
If this one doesn't fly I don't think I can rally support for the trip. The guys have been awesome but they are succumbing to doubt.
I hate to say this but I will not ask this of them or my poor wife again.
Lets hope these crazy airlines are done messing with us.
Without regard to the impact they cause the region they are supposed to be serving or for their patrons who have planned up to and more than a year in advance these greedy bastards just cancel. No explanation, just cancelled.
How come you can ask the person sitting next to you while flying how much they paid for their ticket and find it was only half as much as you paid? Why are they allowed to gouge? I could go on and on about the airlines. They have us all over a barrel and know it. It is just not right!
It's just my opinion I could be wrong.
At least game fish are treating us well. The few guests that have found their way through the maze to get here are enjoying typical outstanding October fishing. For the first time this year live bait is plentiful and tuna, dorado, marlin, sailfish, wahoo and roosterfish are providing constant action.
104141.jpg
Walking the beach this morning I captured this amazing rainbow on my iPhone
104142.jpg
Also found signs of a new turtle nest
104143.jpg
Even if our guests can't get here we are going fishing
104144.jpg
Tuna are here
104145.jpg
So are dorado. Diego withg a good one.
104146.jpg
Chuy is bent.
104147.jpg
Striped marlin
104148.jpg
The old guy can still pull.
Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
US cell 310 308 5841

• 1 month later...

"It's just my opinion I could be wrong."

Well from the number of replies and support you've received since you posted this 6 weeks ago, it looks like you are. 2215_asleep.gif

More like a "ghost town" was responsible for the lack of replies. Many would have said he was wrong, stop complaining and take advantage of the opportunity with some chartered flights if this vacuum is so great.

But the lack of response to posts may diminish with the additional BOE Banned members.