Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

The forbidden fruit

The forbidden fruit
Mother nature has finally given the East Cape a break from north winds and the last three days have been gorgeous. Fishing continues to be action packed with dorado, striped marlin and wahoo providing action daily.
It is interesting how organized and vigilant the Mexican authorities have become enforcing fishing regulations. A few years ago it was difficult to even find a fishing license and most anglers went without. Now charter operators acquire them online for their guests and most conform to the law. The new vigilance has also made anglers more aware and respectful of bag limits.
Last week I bumped into one of our local commercial fisherman who has always enjoyed the reputation of being a "bandit". The whole community is aware that he has no regard for fishing regulations and poaches our sea. He is not bashful boasting that authorities have never been able to catch him with a smoking gun. Last year a sting to catch poachers was set but this guys is smart. One night in the dark while pulling his net a patrol boat tried to approach. He heard them coming and the chase was on. The faster patrol boat started to gain on his fishing panga so he started to do "S" turns all the time paying out line behind him. Finally the patrol boat came to a stop when the line fouled the propellers of the inspectors boat. Like I said this guy is smart.
In a conversation we had last year the "bandit" told me in his soft spoken voice with a smirk and chuckle "the forbidden fruit is always sweeter". Now he tells me he is not fishing and went on to explain that there is just too much vigilance and poaching is too risky. The point of my story is Baja has come a long way from the wild frontier it once was. We still have a long way to go but it is good to see steps are being taken to protect our resources.
I have chosen an image captured from each month of last year and posted what a Jen Wren Sportfishing Calendar would look like if I ever got around to publishing one.
105141.jpg
January
Struggling through our East Cape winter
105142.jpg
February
While boats were in dry dock mama made herself at home on our bow pulpit
105143.jpg
March
We experienced an insane yellowtail bite
105144.jpg
April
Striped marlin started to show in numbers
105145.jpg
May
The bite moved to high gear. Marlin, dorado and wahoo
105146.jpg
June
The East Cape is on fire!
105147.jpg
July
Tuna finally showed, marlin fishing was ridiculous and many broadbill were sighted
105148.jpg
August
Outstanding fishing continued and 2013 was tuning into a banner year
105149.jpg
September
We dodged a couple tropical storms but the bite never slowed
1051410.jpg
October
Yes, 2013 turned into a year to remember
1051411.jpg
November
North winds made it a bit uncomfortauble but it didn't bother gamefish