Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What got you started into Boating?

• 2 weeks later...

When I turned 16, I wanted a motorcycle bad but my dad sensing that I may not be the safest rider around, bought me a 14' Mirrocraft with a 20hp Merc. I did everything with that boat, I fished the Gulfstream (people might say that was dumb but I had a great time), went camping on the islands in Biscayne Bay and waterskied a lot! (I was very skinny). It is amazing how far 6-gallons of gas would go.

I was hooked though and I forgot all about getting a motorcycle. My first job was working for a boat dealer and I bought a 18' Slickcraft by myself before I even got a car!

When I got older, I always thanked my dad for getting me that aluminum boat. It literally changed my life. Good times!

• 4 months later...

I was "born" into boating in the 40's! (YES, I am that old!) ------ I remember all the "great wooden boats" of the 40's and 50's! ----- I also remember when outboard motor oil was "oil," not the "blue stuff" that it is today! ------ If you were lucky enough to have a 16' Thompson, and a 25hp Electric Start Evinrude you though that you died and went to heaven! ----- I though that my wife and I purchased our last boat in 1999, (a 27' Doral Cruiser), but we lost the boat in Storm Sandy, so we are purchasing a new 290 Chaparral Signature Cruiser! ----- Best regards to all! ---- Dwayne

My dad took us to slaughter beach de. in 1971 and rented a boat. That started my saltwater addiction. After that he had several bay boats until he died in 1986. Then for 10 yrs i got into hot rods and bikes untill my first marriage was falling apart and my buddy took me out to relieve the stress and since then my addiction boarders an obsession. The only saving grace is that i am now back down to only one boat. It's a 1979 reinell 247c that i have modified the cockpit area to be more fishing friendly suited. I can sit in my boat on a bad day of fishing and be more relaxed than any where else

Well, I grew up in the suburbs south of San Francisco. In the early 1950's we had a neighbor who would go out fishing in the bay. He would come back from an outing and put his little outboard (seemed big to me at the time) on a big barrel of water to flush it out. That seemed way too cool to me. So, the spark happened. Years later, when I could afford it, I got a 30 ft. sailboat. When the children got interested in other things (members of the opposite sex), I sold it and got seriously into fishing. Went through several power boats until I retired and settled on the current boat. I try to get out fishing at least once a week or more. But I often think of the neighbor who flushed out his motor in a barrel. And I try to remember that when there is an annoying little kid bothering me at the marina.

• 1 year later...
Hey fellow boaters,
I'm new to the forums. I'm currently with a boating service startup and simply wanted to ask you guys for you help. (Not going to pretend otherwise). Were trying to get some info about the "Pain points" of boating. Pretty much the things that make boating not fun when you aren't out actually boating. We want to try to alleviate that.
If any of you are interested in helping out. Please click the link below and fill out our 5 min survey. I really need you guys help. I heave no others to turn to for these answers except for the boating community. An by the looks of you guys intelligence, knowledge and expertise. You all are by far the best candidates to help us make this a reality...for us.
Heres the link. I appreciate everyone who decides to assist. If not. Thank you for even reading this.
Chris