Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What got you started into Boating?

Ok, I'll go first. Maybe it was watching Sea Hunt with my Dad; Lloyd Bridges boat was too cool with the outriggers and all. Maybe it was Flipper; maybe it was all the old war movies I watched with my brother about the Navy. But what really sticks in my mind is going to Sandusky, Ohio and, while my Mother shopped she'd give me 50 cents to go and ride the ferry boats back and forth to Cedar Point amusement park. I'd even get to steer the boat on days that they weren't real busy.

Later we bought a home on the river and that finally iced the cake for me---what about all of you?

When I was about 7 I used to "help" my neighbor. He lived in a big house and rented rooms. He had an old skiff that I helped him paint. Accross from it in the barn was this upside down hull. He didn't know what it was but said one of his tenants owned it and was working on it. It was smooth and looked like a rocket.

I kept lookout and spotted him going into the garage. I introduced myself and he explained that the 20' wooden bullett was a sailboat called a Highlander. I helped him work on it and was there when he took it away to launch. Turns out he was the National Champion in the class. The boat was a sheer terror and way too wild for my light weight. But I got the salt splash in my face and that was the beginning. Best part: Fast forward 15 years, I ran into him by acident. He was now sailing Rhodes 18's. I spent 2 seasons crewing for him. He went on to win the nationals. Some things are just special.

My father bought a small plywood boat in the 60's, that is where it started, after he passed I used that boat for awhile, then moved to the place on the water that my father had bought, then bought a boat a little bigger, and then another one a little bigger.

Edited by midway

When I was a kid my parents rented a small boat to go crabbing a few times. Dad was hooked, first boat was a 16' then moved up 24' - 31' - 31' with twins and his last was a 34' double cabin Pacemaker.

Dad fell and broke his hip and never revovered well enough to continue boating. I purchased my first boat 14' Crestliner then a 18' Citation that I kept for 19 years and going on my 7/8th year with my 22'.

When I was a kid we lived about 1300 miles from where my granddad lived and every summer we would load up the station wagon and head home for a couple of weeks around the forth. My granddad had a cabin on a lake about 10 miles out of town and had and old wooden boat that he'd let us paddle around the lake.

Fond memories, but what got me started with boating was the fact that the fish and the beach were over there and I was over here. A boat could get me from over here to over there.

• 2 weeks later...