Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Worst ride while in a boat?

February 1991, Sea of Japan on a 185' Russian fishing trawler. We were less than 24 hours from the boat's home port in Russia when we got hit by a typhoon. Average waves 15-20 meters, significant waves 30 meters. Yes - meters. On watch on the bridge you'd see nothing but sky on the way up, and nothing but green, angry water on the way down, with lots of aforementioned water coming over the bow. The nav bridge was 5 stories off the water and when we were buried in the trough, you could not see sky - we were looking out at wall waves. I slept (or tried to) on my unrolled survival suit 2 nights in a row. It took us almost 4 days to make port. I also spent that fall

and fall of 1992 at anchor in typhoons in the port of Pusan, S. Korea, but the hairiest was in the SOJ.

• 4 years later...

Besides being caught in thunderstorms, including being surrounded by water spouts, my worst experience was in a kayak. I was determined to fish that day, and I was downplaying the 20-25mph winds/30 gusts forecast because I was mad at the trout that day. I let myself go with the wind for about 2 miles (across Hopedale Lagoon to Lake Ameda for those familiar) so that I could duck behind some protected shore to fish. The problem raised its ugly head when I decided to head back. It was all I could do to make forward progress while bouncing around like crazy. I was alternating between the Hobie pedals and the paddle because my muscles couldn't keep it going. It would not have been possible to get back without having an anchor to take short breaks. Every pause in effort resulted in being shoved back as if I had a trolling motor dragging me in reverse.

It was pretty dumb, but at least now I plan my kayak fishing trips by heading into the wind first and I know what the kayak can handle without flipping.

180 CG Buoy Tender during Hurricane Gordon. We were on way back from Haiti and were diverted to a search and rescue case of a 41 Nauticat sailboat. We would lose sight of the mast as we both sunk into the trough between the swells. Laurel-Tending_buoys-no_date.jpg