Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

How has the Gulf Oil Disaster Affected You?

Im depressed..

I boat out of pensacola and made one offshore trip this season, just before they closed the area i usually fish (nipple, 131 hole , elbow)

State waters off pcola now closed.

So now im looking at paying approx 1000 /month (slip fee, boat payment , ins) for a fishing boat i cannot use...

Did i mention i am depressed?...

Rich

Big O reporting from LA Lower Alabama, I am really sick about the entire situatiuon, and the way that is being handled, My entire lifestyle has changed and will remain that way for who know how long. The loss of habitat and breeding growns is horrible by itself, but you add the loss of any type of recreational activities in the Gulf and the loss are insurmountable. When again may jump in car go to the bayou and by a sack of oysters or 20 lbs of Alabama wild shrimp, my boat is sitting in dry storage with a fresh motor new Einsenglass tuned up GEn set costing me money everyday. I live for summer and fishing and boating,now I am really contimplating just selling her outright and forget about my 5 foot itices.

I do not own a truck big enough to trailer her to the east coast, even though I have a perfect trailer sitting inside my warehouse, This will not only have an effect on all industries on the coast but I feel that the entire country will suffer

to some degree, with the lack of seafood. Ya you will get farm raised shrimp fish from Thiland, or some other country, but yo sure will see a shortage of Gulf coast Snapper, Grouper Wahoo Ect.

The United States Goverment need to get more involved, we should have had EVERY SKIMMING BOAT IN THE WORLD WORKING IN THE GULF OF MEXICO BY NOW. But all we have is a handfull of modified shrimp boats its a joke. I had always wanted to come back home to South Florida after I retired, Now I am thinking real hard about moving back maybe to the keys because I fear that in the remainder of my lifetime the Gulf will not recover. PS I am 51 years old If any one is looking for a Nice 31 Contender FA give me a call as I am thinking real hard about selling her

Big O

• 2 weeks later...

It has affected me in a bad way. I knew a few of the guy's that got killed on the rig. Second I was going to purchase a place on the water in south Louisiana to winter at so I could fish the coastal waters and enjoy life. I have lots of family and friends that live on the coast and yeah I'm bummed and Pissed to say the least.

• 4 years later...