Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anchoring "Technique"????????

It's not just a folley of the unexperienced... Capt. Marty of the Xiao Mu Ji passed away in the fall after his rode tangled on him and pulled him under... Very sad case, and he was a Fine Captain with a lot of Experience... Freak accidents can happen.

Which is exactly why Sheila and I both wear good sharp knives when we're on the boat. A simple little step like that can literally save your life.

I think it would be shocking, and scary, if we knew just how many boat owners don't know what tieing the anchor to a stern cleat could result in.....and the guys that DON'T know about this probably arent the ones that read all 30 pages of the NFL thread to learn what caused that tragedy.

I took the mandatory 8 hour CT Safe Boating class and they certainly didnt mention not tying off to a stern cleat there. Oh yea, they also didnt discuss what a EPIRB/PLB was. Or explain why a DSC vhf was a good idea. Or explain how to properly call in a mayday. Or describe how an occasional radio check is a good idea to make sure your vhf still works. Or mention that for a small fixed annual fee you can get seatow or boat us membership so you arent afraid to bother calling help when needed. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

The picture showed the anchor line tied to the port side lifting ring on the transom................big mistake I will never make.........

I keep a sharp knife in a hatch near the anchor line, had to cut one anchor line last year & was feeling bad about that till now........thanks again......ICM

http://www.myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/Resources/Ne...oatAccident.htm

• 3 weeks later...
I think there is an Avatar out there somewhere that looks exactly like THT wheels...

BTW, I work in Crystal River. One of the men who died, his father owns the Firestone store just up 19 from the plant. But, oddly enough, there didn't seem to be much out-pouring of sympathy in the community. I live down in Pasco, so I wasn't really exposed on a day to day basis with the effects of the tragedy in the local community, but the general talk both in Tampa Bay and in Crystal River was that how idiotic the men were for going out on that afternoon, especially as far as they went.

I guess you didn't read the Citrus County Chronicle following the accident. Because Will, the guy whose father owns Firestone, was on the front page numerous times. An article titled, "Everybody's Hero", was sure to bring tears to eyes of anyone who knew him. His funeral was the largest one I have ever been to. He was well known in the community and it showed when everybody came to pay their respects to him and his family.

Another technique, while not dangerous, that does make me shake my head.

Where the guy stops the boat over where he wants to anchor, grabs the anchor and chain and a handful of rope and slings the whole lot off the bow. Sometime he will try and back down , other times he will just wait for the anchor to somehow hold. He is oblivious to the fact that it is probably tangled up in the 10 foot of chain and will never set.

Guaranteed I will see this numerous times a day at the achorage.

I've had guests try that once or twice. Lately I'm getting good at setting it myself.

Thread hijack!!!!!

Last week we were in NC, and wandered around the backside of Shakleford bank. Nice little beach, and there were a number of boats anchored. Bottom quickly pops up from 10' to 4', and then up to the beach. Swing in between two boats, BIL drops anchor, look over my shoulder to back down and set it and this son of a ###### in a skiff flies behind me, no more than 15', between my boat and the beach. He's on plane, and shoots from my port to starboard side. Thing is there were other boats anchored, and swimmers in the water.

I taught my kids some new words....

• 5 years later...