Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anchoring "Technique"????????

It's not just a folley of the unexperienced... Capt. Marty of the Xiao Mu Ji passed away in the fall after his rode tangled on him and pulled him under... Very sad case, and he was a Fine Captain with a lot of Experience... Freak accidents can happen.

Accidents, sure. This case wasn't an accident. It was a highly possible result from a questionable anchor-pulling technique. Certainly a lesson to be learned for all of us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

>>>Another option is to tie a fender to the bitter end and enter the coordinates into the GPS<<<

Especially if its getting bad out. No need to hang out any longer than necesary. Tie it off and get back safe to home. Head back to mess with it on a nicer day. When the weather turns bad, my main concern is getting my passengers, my boat and myself back to the dock as quickly and sfely as possible.

I look at this a very sad mistake. Certainly inexperience with the anchor on the stern. As for the weather forecast, I would have gone in a heartbeat. Forecast was 15 knots in the morning and then to blow up to twenty out of the west late that afternoon and that would have been on their stern coming in. Here in NC, if you don't fish in 15 knots you don't go very often. Putting four big guys in that boat and going that far may well have been the biggest mistake. We all make mistakes, it's just that we usually get away with them and are able to learn from them.

Another technique, while not dangerous, that does make me shake my head.

Where the guy stops the boat over where he wants to anchor, grabs the anchor and chain and a handful of rope and slings the whole lot off the bow. Sometime he will try and back down , other times he will just wait for the anchor to somehow hold. He is oblivious to the fact that it is probably tangled up in the 10 foot of chain and will never set.

Guaranteed I will see this numerous times a day at the achorage.

I think this goes beyond inexperience and is really more a lack of knowledge, preparedness and respect for the sea.

I bought my first boat in 2004. Before I even splashed it, my wife, two kids and I took a coast guard auxillary course (over 8 evenings) and read everything we could to prepare ourselves.

I still consider myself inexperienced after 5 years on the water, but I also feel that I am and always have been a knowledgeable and safe boater, with a good understanding of the rules of navigation, safety procedures and basic boating techniques.

We all know that this is a dangerous hobby and we have to take safety very seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
Another technique, while not dangerous, that does make me shake my head.

Where the guy stops the boat over where he wants to anchor, grabs the anchor and chain and a handful of rope and slings the whole lot off the bow. Sometime he will try and back down , other times he will just wait for the anchor to somehow hold. He is oblivious to the fact that it is probably tangled up in the 10 foot of chain and will never set.

Guaranteed I will see this numerous times a day at the achorage.

I see it all the time. I've done it also when I first started boating. I learned the hard way. But I learned 20 feet off shore. Not 20 miles.

The weight of the anchor and rode will hold any boat in 5 MPH winds. But as soon as it speeds up (and here in Florida that can happen real quick), you'll find out what a bad set really is.