Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anchoring "Technique"????????

Florida Fish & Wildlife's invest of the boating accident that killed 3 ex football players off Clearwater Pass in Feb was caused by "improper anchoring techniques"!

"Around 5:30 pm...... {in 60 foot deep rough, 4-6 foot seas, rising 20+ mph winds}...... they went to pull up the anchor and head back to port, but the anchor was stuck. Bleakley suggested they tie it to the transom and use the boat's motor to pull it loose.

When Cooper tried to thrust the boat forward, the vessel became submerged and capsized, tossing the men overboard."

The stupidity of those actions totally confound me! I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand the scope of things people do to themselves and other people that cause their deaths

:504_shrugging: !

Florida Fish & Wildlife's invest of the boating accident that killed 3 ex football players off Clearwater Pass in Feb was caused by "improper anchoring techniques"!

"Around 5:30 pm...... {in 60 foot deep rough, 4-6 foot seas, rising 20+ mph winds}...... they went to pull up the anchor and head back to port, but the anchor was stuck. Bleakley suggested they tie it to the transom and use the boat's motor to pull it loose.

When Cooper tried to thrust the boat forward, the vessel became submerged and capsized, tossing the men overboard."

The stupidity of those actions totally confound me! I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand the scope of things people do to themselves and other people that cause their deaths

:504_shrugging: !

Unfortunately for them it just might of been inexperience in those conditions and not stupidity. :504_shrugging:

I know that pulling anchor was the final movement in this mess that ended in death. There are many other things that had to happen before the pulling of anchor. Such as going out with the weather forecast, the seas rising before it reached the 4 foot stage. I guess in my mind the icing on the cake was the pulling of the anchor from the rear and swamping the boat. It really is never one thing that causes any disaster.

Paul, I didn't know we had wheels on this site!! Where did you get the four wheels?

I think there is an Avatar out there somewhere that looks exactly like THT wheels...

BTW, I work in Crystal River. One of the men who died, his father owns the Firestone store just up 19 from the plant. But, oddly enough, there didn't seem to be much out-pouring of sympathy in the community. I live down in Pasco, so I wasn't really exposed on a day to day basis with the effects of the tragedy in the local community, but the general talk both in Tampa Bay and in Crystal River was that how idiotic the men were for going out on that afternoon, especially as far as they went. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE on the Gulf Coast knew a cold front was approaching and that afternoon conditions at sea, nearshore included, were going to deteriorate quickly once the front started arriving. If you wanted to fish that day, the ICW, bays, maybe a few miles out would have been the preference of 99% of the boaters. At least a few miles out, when the winds started kicking up, it would only be minutes to reach protected waters.

Sometimes you just have to wonder... :504_shrugging:

We took our boat for a run off Sandy Hook yesterday. On the way in there was 1 boat in the channel and it was waving a fish net at us. We stopped. To cut the story short;

He re-wired the boat himself and dispite 2 batteries on board it wouldn't start

The water temp was 40 degrees

He had his 70 year old father with him.

He didn't have Sea Tow or Boat US and "didn't want to call them".

He lived in a town where the property taxes alone are at least $15 to $20k a year so money couldn't have been the probleem; this is New Jersey; but that's another story.

He could easily have drifted into the shipping lanes for New York harbor.

We towed him to Atlantc Highlands Marina and drove him to pick up his truck. The more I think about this guy the madder I get. He's the kind who could pull a NFL/Tampa stunt.

ok I copied and pasted them but I did not hot link them so all should be good. Wiley returned my $2,000,000 gift...

Back to subject I do understand that a knife would have worked that is just a long list of things they did not do that led them to pay the ultimate price of the mistakes they made. When I saw that picture of that boy hanging on to the lower unit of the engine it was quite moving to me. His will to live was and should always be an inspiration and a monument to the will of life. I know all the stupid mistakes but it did take them what about 7 to 8 serious mess ups to reach the swamping of the boat? Sad