Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Name / Handle Name

User name, well, it was late one night when I needed to post on a boating website and all I could think of was the model of our boat. I'm not always very origional.

We call our little yacht "Mudbug" because a) I'm of Cajun decent, B) it is small, c) it always seems to find the bottom when we are fishing the flats, and d) my wife said we couldn't call it the "SS Minow". I really thought that the Minnow would be a great name since I'm an Amateur Radio operator and we never seem to have time to watch TV, but I'll leave the research to those who are truly curious as to why that would be a fitting name. I still haven't gotten the name put on the boat, though.

Boat name is Exit Strategy. When you raise capital to fund a business, one of the first things investors want to know, is "what is your exit strategy?". How do you escape, and cash out. Since the boat is my escape, it just seemed fitting.

Now as to my nickname Seahawg, well, that will just have to wait for another time....

I took a sea trial on a 21' Seacat at the 1993 Miami Boat show and ever since have been a big fan of catamarans. About the time I signed up on THT, I was nearing the end of a long search for a Seacat SL3. Seemed like I had been scouring ebay and every boating site forever, so I came up with Cat-a-holic. Got the Seacat, but after a while I got a little tired of the name. I looked into changing names on THT, but seems like Wiley said it was going to be a big hassle so I kept it.

By the time I signed up on Freebird's site, I wanted a new name. One of the things I enjoy here in the backwoods of E. Kentucky is tromping through the mountains looking for rock shelters once occupied by indians. Its especially fun to go out on a nasty winter day with a bunch of friends, build a big fire in one of these rock over-hangs, sit around drinking half a day and cook up some nice steaks or something. Maybe tell big lies.

So I came up with Caveman. May have been drinking at the time.

Once had a 43' boat called Anchor Lounge. I think maybe that had to do with drinking too.

The Seacat doesn't have a name......yet. :504_shrugging:

I looked at my drivers license. :504_shrugging:

I've really never one to be anonymous.

The Boat is Tohora Iti, Tahitian for Little Whale. Sheila named it - she spent a year in Tahiti doing research for her disertation.

The prior boat was Fear Naut (hence the handle on THT and elsewhere, "Rich" was already taken) - I decided on that after 9/11 when so many folks were being so fearful.

My boat's name is Mary Alice, after my daughter. You can hear me on the bay talking to my boys on the small boat (13' Whaler), which is called Thumper. It usually goes like this:

"Mary Alice to Thumper"

"Thumper to Mary Alice... What's up"

"Thumper why is $20 missing from my wallet"

"Mary Alice I can't hear you. Breaking up"

Sigh.