Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Chapter 1 - - - Miss-Be-Haven II

For those of you who do not know, the purchase of the 1958 Rybovich fell through . . . structural problems :(

The search continues :)

I talked to Wiley and we have agreed that I will document the process of buying a boat, including far more details about the process including experiences with brokers and owners and suppliers . . . a RealBoating exclusive

Since I am looking at buying a used boat there will be a number of projects such as new electronics, underwater lighting, downriggers etc. etc.

I will work with various suppliers and document those projects . . . I will be seeking RBer input and comments on buying the boat and on doing the projects

Some RBers have suggested that I "start at the start" and specifiy what kind of boat I am looking for . . . so this is Chapter 1

My Situation: I just turned 60 and I am semi-retiring . . . I will not go over my budget . . . I will not by a boat that pounds as I suffered a back-compression injury many years ago

Use and Type of Boat: This boat is primarily (99%) for fishing and must have a large cockpit with large fish boxes . . . the Admiral and I do not cruise

Offshore sportsfisher that can handle 4 footers at a reasonable speed of 17 or so knots without pounding.

I would prefer an express with a tower and controls but I will look at convertibles with a well-equipped flybridge

I want to be able to sleep aboard for a week or so at a time, and it must have a galley and a small dinette size table for eating, playing cards and using my computer

I do not want a centre console or a go fast boat.

Size of Boat: Between 37 and 41 feet in length and a maximum beam of 14 ft 6 inches . . . size limited by the slip I have . . . I do not want to change slips

Fuel Consumption : At a cruise speed of 17 to 20 knots it must do at least 1 mpg

Turnkey Condition: I do not want a project boat. I am willing to install new electronics and the such . . . but NO work to the engines, transmissions, hull etc.

Specific Boats Already Looked at and Rejected:

Rampage 38 . . . pounded too much but great layout for fishing

Viking 43 . . . too wide for the slip and burns too much fuel

Looks and Design: I want a boat that has eye appeal . . . this can be a classic sportfisher or a more current style sportfisher . . . I want a boat that I can be proud of

Total Budget: I have a max of $180,000 of which 75% to 80% is the max for the boat and the balance is for the projects and fishing upgrades

- - - - -

Lets make this story, interesting fun and informative

Identify boats that are for sale that you think fit my criteria and I will respond to all of your posts

THANKS

Here's one to start with:

1973 Bertram Widebody 38

This fits of the description pretty well, especially that part about "Classic Sportfisher".

Hi Rich

Thanks for being the first to step up to the plate and help on this project

The description for the boat reads as follows: 1973 Bertram 38 Widebody : REPOWER, REFIT 1973 Bertram 38 Widebody 1992 400hp cummins 6CTA Diesels Full Tuna Tower, hard fiberglassed brow, plus complete interior overhaul GenSet moved to engine room All new wiring, running gear, controls and too much else to list Don't miss this well equipped REFIT Bertram 38

Ed, aka Fubar 512 were chatting on the phone looking at boats listed on YachtWorld . . . when we came across this particular boat Ed said that it was exactly what his buddy wanted.

Ed went to see this boat with his good friend . . . about a 15 hour drive each way

I have asked Ed (when he has the time) to respond to this boat and tell us what he and his friend saw . . . you will not believe what they saw . . . a little hint . . . it was not pretty