All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Today
  2. Last week
  3. East Cape - Tag you're it!  East Cape has enjoyed extremely good weather for this time of year.  Until now there has been fewer than normal windy days and conditions have been excellent.  The water has stayed warm, clear and full of life.  Bait has been plentiful and game fish have provided lots of action.   Today is the first that I can really feel the effects of winter starting to dominate.  Strong north wind whooped up about 10am and forced me to close my office window to keep the disarray of unorganized papers from blowing off my desk.  Also, this morning I noticed the coconut oil we use to cook breakfast was no longer a clear liquid and had congealed.  Weather man says it's going to blow for a few days.  Yep, after the best season we have had in years, winter is closing in and going to stop the party.  The lights have flashed three times, the fat lady is clearing her voice and mother nature is getting ready to slam the door. Last year Gray's Taxidermy persuaded me to get involved with the tag and release program.  At first I was skeptical and didn't really understand the whole picture.  After having the entire Jen Wren crew go through an orientation in Gray's office my enthusiasm along with the crews grew. The whole tag thing has turned out to be so much fun.  Anglers get to name their fish and have come up with some hilarious ones.  There is a striped marlin swimming around out there named Donny Osmond.   The angler receives a certificate of release from Gray's and all the data, time, date, size and GPS coordinates are recorded.  The location of release is also plotted on a Navionics navigation chart which anybody can access on line.  Accurate Jack Nilsen named one after his granddaughter.  Now he can go home and show her on the map where a fish named after her has been released. The bonus is all the scientific data that is being recorded.  It is amazing how many tags are recovered.   So much time, effort and money is spent exploring outer space and we know so little about the behavior of gamefish in our oceans.  Gray's is doing their part to change that.  We have the tags and are having a great time doing our part to help them.   Meet Migulito   Jackurat tagging his fish   2017 will go down as the year of the monster roosterfish   Girls having fun   A pompano, three tuna, one pargo and partridge in a pear tree   Rainbow runners on the bite   Stan Lowery named his fish Hoto.  Don't think you will find that word in the Mexican dictionary.   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841  
  4. Earlier
  5. Seems kinda rush to pinpoint bad construction of the boat. It could have been something like forgetting a candle somewhere or something. Its truth that some brands are going down the drain lately but hopefully that isn't a case here. Sure as hell it was a bad day for everybody.
  6. Los Cabos - Came to play  It was the second and last day of the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot.  I had stopped Vaquera on the outer Gorda Bank to make our second drift chunking Humbolt squid.  Making my way to the bow I pitched out a chunk Diego had pinned on for me.  Away went the squid along with my 100 lb test Momoi Hi-Catch top shot into the drift with Diego's chum.  Soon the top shot was gone and the 130 lb Diamond Braid backing continued to slowly pay it out. After a few more minutes the braid started to go tight.  Soon my spool slowly started to turn as I waited in anticipation.  A moment later I flipped the drag lever into gear and bendo.  I shouted to the stern I'M BIT!  Not getting a reaction I shouted again.  Team Captain Mike Daniels was watching Diego land a bonita just hooked and asked me "is it a good one?"  My reply was "oh yeah" showing him the Diamond Braid peeling off my Accurate ATD 50 and bent Calstar broomstick. I need to regress, this is a bit of a long story but bear with me.  We had all three of our boats registered to compete in the event.  As a team my skippers share notes but we all have our own ideas and formulate our own game plan. My plan was to fish the first day at Gorda Bank.  Last year at that location we landed a 353 lbs tuna and finished third place. The buzz was there were a lot of big fish in the Pacific at the Jaime Bank.  First day Jen Wren and Jen Wren III opted to fish that area.  Randy Wren (ironic but no relation) fishing on Jen Wren III along with Rob Jones (last year's 3rd place winner) landed a fat 186 lb tuna kite fishing with a Yummy.  It was early, they didn't want the fish to bake but it was too big to get in the fish hold.  I had to crack up hearing the story.  They persuaded Captain Polo to slide the fish into the boats air conditioned salon to stay cool.  Glad I didn't see it but guess anything goes when you are "tuna fishing baby...yeah!" Meanwhile, Vaquera with Team Tequila Teasers was fishing the inner Gorda high spot chunking squid.  The spot is very small and I was pleased we only had to share it with 5 or 6 other boats.  I could count 19 boats on the outer bank and didn't want to get in that mix. The morning was slow.  We would move up current and drift over the small spot chunking and chumming calamari.  My Simrad evo2 chart plotter was starting to look like pasta from our track.  At about 11:30  Estrella Norte approached .  The bright red custom panga is very distinctive.  Back in 2012 we were in the same location and both hooked up.  To my dismay they took home all the marbles with a 360 lb fish which dwarfed our 160 pounder at the scale. Anyhow they arrived on the scene and proceeded to do a short drift chunking squid.  We were just drifting off the spot when they moved and started to drift in the track we had just been.  They weren't there three minutes when the sea erupted around them with cows and super cows.  It lasted just long enough for them to get bit and was over.  We poured on the chum hoping the fish would walk down the line but it didn't happen.  Those guys have talent and when I saw them a couple hours later still laboring it was obvious they had a contender. Lines out at 4 pm came quickly and we had never had a smell all day.  Missing the only opportunity I was a bit deflated.  Even more so when returning to the marina and discovering Estrella Norte had set the bar at 338. Back to the second day.  Team Captain Mike wanted to go back to the high spot expressing he saw more fish there and wanted to get ours.  147 boat shotgun start and off we go.  The 25 plus mile ride went quickly and we were one of the first boats on the spot.  Setting up our first drift I looked south and apparently the whole fleet had gotten the memo.  Ten minutes later we were covered up with big yachts and it wasn't fishable in my estimation, boats were still coming.  I don't understand why but for some reason the whole armada was piling up on the inner bank.  It was like a horror show.  Looking through my Frazer Giros I could only see 3 or 4 boats on the outer bank.  We made the two and half mile move and were back drifting. Our second drift is when I got bit.  Finally getting Diego's attention he fired up Vaquera's motors and I hung on while we chased the fish.  After a time it started to settle down and I was able to walk it around to the stern and hand off to "Big Guns" Chris.  He and Mike tag teamed it for a while and then asked Diego to get in the mix.  The battle was straight up and down for the next hour and then the fish started to surface.  We could see it's huge shadow when it came up.  The fish laid on it's side glistening in the sun and I thought it was done.  Little did we know the fish was just doing a drive by to size us up and then sounded again. We pulled and tugged and were in a true Mexican stand off.  The pressure from our buttoned down Acurate ATD 50 was taking a toll on my team.  I had faith it would take a toll on the fish as well but didn't see it happening.  A couple times I tried walking the fish with the boat. As beat up as the team was the old geezer in the bridge was never invited down to have a pull.  I'd like to think it was because they liked the way I was operating the boat but it was more likely because they wouldn't have known what to do if I had a heart attack.  Finally after an epic 4 hour battle Mike sank the gaff as Diego pulled. Competing in a field of 147 it was obvious Team Jen Wren boats came to play.  At the end of the day our Texas team Real Tuna Hookers led by Ricky Martin won best dressed team.  The Texans also took first place in the show us your Costas contest.  Jen Wren III finished the first day in 6th place with 186 lb tuna.  Tequila Teasers placed second in show us your Costas and also took home the second biggest paycheck of the tournament weighing in a tuna 239 lbs. I can't say enough about the outstanding job the tournament staff did led by Pat McDonald.  There is a reason the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot is the most attended in Baja.  Because it is the best!  The parties, dinners, contests, weigh station and awards dinner, 11 events in all went without a hitch.  Congratulations to Pat, Tracy and all the sponsors that coordinated efforts to put on the greatest tournament in Mexico and maybe the world.   Who are those masked men?  Winners of new Costa sunglasses   Can't believe the team slid this butterball in the salon for safe keeping   First kite fish for Randy Wren   Day one sixth place, came to play!   Tequila Teaser getting worked   Climax   No Disneyland in Cabo so we went to Dairy Queen   Good thing the corner liquor store wouldn't cash our check.  We would still be partying.   Real Tuna Hookers came to play winning best dressed   Thank you Costa for your generosity.  A lot of anglers walked away with new sunglasses.   Not just a tournament, it was a party to remember.   I couldn't be more proud of our whole crew.  A lot of preparation goes into tournament fishing.  We all worked extremely hard and were rewarded for our efforts.       Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841  
  7. 2007, 24' SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CENTER CONSOLE Single Gas YAMAHA 250HP Four Stroke Outboard with SS Prop Always Inside Stored in Fantastic Condition - Turn-Key & Ready to Go at Only $39,500 VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: This SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CC delivers exactly what the serious fishermen demand in a sport fishing center console boat.  She's powered up right with a single gas YAMAHA 4-Stroke Outboard. This boat is in fantastic condition inside and out and features multiple insulated fish-boxes and 30 gallon lighted aerated calming blue livewell, cockpit and bow bolsters with upgraded new 3" cushions, all stainless hardware and Yamaha Command Link digital gauges. To help deliver the perfect ride you'll find recessed trim tabs, and hydraulic steering as well. The aft fold-out beach seat offers additional seating for your guests. The cockpit of this model is designed to have abundant room for 360° of fishing. The hull design delivers a soft dry ride that's second to none in a 24 foot center console! Included is a new GARMIN echomap93SV GPS; QUEST VHF Marine Radio with Distress; Electric Bennett Trim Tabs; SONY AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth; Forward and Aft Spreader Lights; and standard safety gear. MORE DETAILS: Triton builds their boats without any wood and designs them for zero flex in the stringer system. Maximum flotation is added for safety and comfort underway. The unibody construction is performance engineered delivering a better ride and feel with more structural strength. The transom is designed to spread the stresses of the motor over the entire width of the boat. Cockpit and Features The forward casting deck was spacious with a nice single step up from either side. Cleats are pop-up style to keep from snagging lines while working a fish around the boat. The ground tackle stores in a compartment up front that has keeper slots for a Danforth style anchor. This boat will not last long on the marketplace. Inquire today for a personal walk-through or you will miss out on a great buy! To view more photos and the full vessel specifications,  simply visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site.   CLICK HERE to view the Primary Listing Page for this boat. GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  8. 2003, 24' CHAPARRAL 243 SUNESTA DECK BOAT with 2016 Trailer Included Single Gas MerCruiser 300HP 350 MAG MPI Stern Drive Always Inside Stored in Fantastic Condition Turn-Key & Ready to Go! Just Listed at Only $24,995 (2016 Aluminum Dual-Axle Trailer Included!) VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: You will not find a cleaner, better maintained CHAPARRAL 243 SUNDECK on the market! This boat has always been stored Inside and given constant TLC over the years and it shows! She powered up right with the larger MerCruiser300HP 350 MAG MPI engine package to give you plenty of get up and go power when you need it. The first thing that you'll notice heading out on the water on this one, is that she delivers and extremely smooth ride and how quiet the engine runs. She's rated for fifteen (15) passengers and you will find more than ample storage throughout the entire boat including under the seat storage compartments forward and aft along with an extremely large storage compartment center deck for fishing poles, water skis, and extra boating adventure supplies. The seating on this 243 is extremely well laid out with large aft wrap-around seating (which includes a snap-in pole to create a tanning bed with the filler cushion and/or dinette table). The contoured bow seats do double duty as twin reclining chaise lounges. Each helm seat features a convenient flip-up bolster for additional visibility when needed. When island exploring, having forward and aft boarding telescopic boarding ladders makes boarding this 243 Sunesta a breeze! At the dock, you'll also find that the starboard side boarding area is a huge plus. ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Large Privacy Head Area; Marine JBL AM/FM/CD Stereo System (4-JBL Marine Speakers) with Helm and Aft Swim Deck Remote; There is also an extremely convenient remote to starboard by the aft swim deck area; Dual Batteries with selector switch; Wet Bar with Sink; Woodgrain Helm; Tilt Steering; Black Bimini Top; Matching Black Cockpit and Bow Storage Covers; Two Anchors (one forward, one aft); Large aft Swim Platform; Transom Fresh Water Shower; Large Aft Storage Locker Compartment; Very Convenient Forward Self Draining In-Deck Cooler; DC Power Plugs; Dual Docking Lights; Cockpit Lighting; Ritchie Compass; Depth Sounder; Electric Bilge Pump; and all of the standard 2003 CHAPARRAL 243 Sunesta illuminated helm instrumentation. RECENT UPGRADES and SERVICE: Brand New 2016 ROCKET Aluminum Dual Axle Trailer with Surge Brakes, Spare Tire with Mount (a $5,000 Value); New FIREBOY® 125 CU FT Automatic Fire Extinguishing System with Helm LED Functioning Indicator (a $1,000 Value); New Horn; Full Outdrive Service with New Gasket, I/O Drivetrain Service on Stern Drive Gimbal Bearing and R&R Trim Relays; Engine Service and Oil Change w/Filter; New Sterling Volt Meter; New Thermostat; New Updated 2017 Fuel Cooler Kit Installed including New Fuel Filter, New Fuel Lines, and 43 PSI Regulator Kit; New Anchor Bow Roller; New Oudrive Indicator Gauge; and Outdrive Painted with MerCruiser Outdrive Paint (black) in September 2017. BROKERS REMARKS: If you have been holding off on a purchase to find the best maintained totally turn key, fully serviced ready to go Deck Boat, your search is over! Call today to view this immaculate 2003 Chaparral 243 Sunesta Deck Boat in person now because rest assured, you will not find a better one like this for under $25K anywhere...especially with a 2016, Dual-Axle Aluminum Rocket Trailer Included at No Additional Charge. To view more photos, video from a sea trial run, and the full vessel specifications,  simply visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site.   CLICK HERE to access the Primary Listing Page for this boat and to view the Sea Trial Run video. GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  9. East Cape - A different time  October has been a cra cra crazy and it has been a while since my last report.  Water temps remain at 85 degrees and except for our first 3 days of north wind the Sea of Cortez has been calm like a big pond. The bite has been outstanding with Yellowfin tuna, dorado, wahoo and blue marlin providing constant action.  Finding the larger tuna on porpoise schools has been very difficult but the high spots off Pescadero, La Ribera, Rincon and Los Meganos have provided limits of the smaller grade for anglers using calamari and sardines.  Wahoo have been cruising the same high spots and it has not been uncommon to get bit off while drifting for tuna. The buoys off Pescadero and Cabo Pulmo are loaded with bait and the tidy blue water is a perfect environment for marlin and sailfish.  Many of the blue marlin have come slow trolling live baits. For those looking for inshore action Bob Solee released eight roosterfish yesterday on Vaquera. Tonight Mexico falls back and I'm going to get an extra hour of sleep.  Tomorrow it will be a different time. Getting our first north wind is a reminder that our season is all but over.  This is the time we will start to get more and more windy days and sea temp will plummet.  By Thanksgiving kite boarders will have taken over and we will be stowing away our fishing tackle. Tuesday we will be moving all of our boats to the marina in Cabo San Lucas to compete in the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot.  The motto of the tournament to "fish hard and party harder" and that is our plan.  Last year we finished 3rd in a field of 187, this year I have first place in my cross hairs.   "Tuna fishing baby, yeah." Posted are a few of many fun photos on my desk top that were queued up for October reports I never got around to writing.                         Mark Rayor teamjenwren.commarkrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing   US cell 310 308 58418 5841
  10. Fort Lauderdale Boat Show

Nice!! Thanks for the post!
  11. Boats burning down in the port always makes me sad because only one caught fire and took the whole row... Faulty wiring maybe? Lately way too frequent. Overall you can say that industry went down a bit and some boats are happy to even float. Only good thing about this is that hopefully nobody was there and there weren't any injuries. Having major fire while being far from dry land can be really ugly.
  12. Thinking of wearing an original The Hull Truth shirt there.   But only have the long sleeve.
  13. The 58th annual Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show takes place from November 1 to 5, 2017. Covering seven locations with more than 3 million square feet of exhibit space, the show’s network of water taxis, riverboats and shuttles transport visitors to see an amazing array of marine products and accessories from astonishing super-yachts, fishing boats, runabouts and boats for every budget to fishing gear, marine art, jewelry and more. Attractions for the whole family include live water sport demonstrations, an exciting schedule of fishing and boating seminars and workshops for adults and children of all ages, and many other attractions dedicated to the boating lifestyle and the businesses that support the industry. http://www.showmanagement.com/fort_lauderdale_international_boat_show/event/
  14. East Cape - Stormin Norma  All is quiet on the East Cape right now and there is not a fishing boat in the water. For more than a week weather forecasters predicted we had a big storm coming.  Sure as could be a low formed below the Revillagigedo Islands.  We watched it grow from a depression to a tropical storm and finally a hurricane.  This ominous looking storm huffed and puffed but sat stationary for two days.  The prediction was that Norma would center punch Cabo San Lucas.  She was like a junk yard dog baring her teeth but not coming any closer.   In anticipation the Mexican government put Los Cabos under hurricane warnings.  Cabo San Lucas closed the port and every boat in Los Barriles and Buena Vista was pulled from the water.  After standing off and terrorizing us for a time that seemed like forever Norma finally started falling apart. The fur went down on her back, she was down graded from a hurricane and is now slowly exiting to the West. For a couple days it was like when I fished in Alaska and spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder for that bear. In the end we have had no wind, not a drop of rain and no surf.  Today boats will start going back in the water and we will pick up where we left off with excellent fishing. Speaking of fishing, tuna, dorado and billfish have been providing constant action.  Sardines have appeared on the shores of La Ribera and become available for bait.  They have been key and the bait of choice for tuna and dorado.  High spots to the south of Frailes and Pescadero have been the hot spots but the tuna have been line shy. 30 pound fluorocarbon and small hooks have been the combination for success. Blue marlin, striped marlin and sailfish have been very scattered with not much of a concentration.  Anglers putting in the time are picking away at them.   One day we looked off shore as far as 30 miles for porpoise schools but couldn't find them.  We were rewarded with a blue marlin and also a striper.  On another day we spent an afternoon targeting roosterfish but couldn't locate them.   A bigger volume of dorado than we have seen in a few years   Good to see the sardines   Double hookup!!   Mixed bag   Limits all around   What's a guy to do after a limit of tuna?  Head for the rocks   Donna is having a good day   Blue marlin putting on a show   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing   US cell 310 308 58418 5841
  15. GPS Trackers

I think I'm understanding your question. Im curious because I looked into doing the samething. I was looking for something that I could access off of my phone. I personally (this is a sidenote/rant) think that the boating industry is not developing quick enough technology wise. The boating industry is acting like the transportation industry and being really slow to adopt new technology. Hence a gps system that I can access from my phone and get live updates and what not. Yes, I've looked into this quite a bit. (rant over) But anyways i guess I would recommend you check out gps satellite tracking  http://www.trackyourtruck.com/gps-tracking-devices/satellite-tracking/ hope that helps. Cheers
  16. GPS Trackers

Hey Freemankv. you said without a monthly fee? Are you looking for a GPS service? I dont think you're talking about just a device   
  17. 2007, 31′ SAFE BOAT DEFENDER RESPONSE BOAT Triple (3X) 2016 SUZUKI 300HP Four Stroke Outboards Price: $319,900 UPDATE: This boat SOLD. Please CLICK HERE so that we can better assist you in finding another purchase option. 2007, 31′ SAFE BOAT DEFENDER RESPONSE BOAT Triple (3X) 2016 SUZUKI 300HP Four Stroke Outboards Price: $319,900 2007/2016 Defender SAFEBOAT, Response boat, Patrol Boat 31′ FULL CABIN, engine warranty until 2/11/2022 (USCG, PATROL, POLICE, MILITARY, TOW, TENDER) Triple (3X)  2016 Four Stroke Suzuki 300 HP Outboards Only 100 hours and full warranty. To view more photos of this boat visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site. GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  18. 2007, 24' SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CENTER CONSOLE Single Gas YAMAHA 250HP Four Stroke Outboard with SS Prop Always Inside Stored in Fantastic Condition - Turn-Key & Ready to Go! VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: This SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CC delivers exactly what the serious fishermen demand in a sportfishing center console boat.  She's powered up right with a single gas YAMAHA 4-Stroke Outboard. This boat is in fantastic condition inside and out and features multiple insulated fish-boxes and 30 gallon lighted aerated calming blue livewell, cockpit and bow bolsters with upgraded new 3" cushions, all stainless hardware and Yamaha Command Link digital gauges. To help deliver the perfect ride you'll find recessed trim tabs, and hydraulic steering as well. The aft fold-out beach seat offers additional seating for your guests. The cockpit of this model is designed to have abundant room for 360° of fishing. The hull design delivers a soft dry ride that's second to none in a 24 foot center console! Included is a new GARMIN echomap93SV GPS; QUEST VHF Marine Radio with Distress; Electric Bennett Trim Tabs; SONY AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth; Forward and Aft Spreader Lights; and standard safety gear. MORE DETAILS: Triton builds their boats without any wood and designs them for zero flex in the stringer system. Maximum flotation is added for safety and comfort underway. The unibody construction is performance engineered delivering a better ride and feel with more structural strength. The transom is designed to spread the stresses of the motor over the entire width of the boat. Cockpit and Features The forward casting deck was spacious with a nice single step up from either side. Cleats are pop-up style to keep from snagging lines while working a fish around the boat. The ground tackle stores in a compartment up front that has keeper slots for a Danforth style anchor. This boat will not last long on the marketplace. Inquire today for a personal walk-through or you will miss out on a great buy! To view more photos and the full vessel specifications,  simply visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site.   GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)  
  19. East Cape - Tournament ready  East Cape fishing on the Sea of Cortez continues to be outstanding.  Yesterday 44 teams competed in the first annual VanWormer wahoo tournament.  25 wahoo were landed and it took 55 lbs to take first prize and win a new car. So far the results in all the tournaments that have been held this year have been excellent and some have come to nail biter finishes.  Hard to imagine but after 12 lb dorado taking the Dorado Shoot Out 2 years in a row a 57 pound dorado was only good enough for 2nd place this year.  Also, a 430 lb blue marlin wasn't good enough in the East Cape Bisbee.  It is not just the tournaments with good fishing, day after day most of the fleet is returning with all the laundry out. Something anglers don't normally see is the attention we pay to the way our boats are mechanically performing everyday.  There is a daily ritual we go through from start up until end of day inspection of the engine room after shut down.  Late July Jen Wren III's starboard motor started asking for attention.  The first thing Captain Polo noticed was the exhaust had a little more humidity (steam) than normal.  Although the temperature gauge showed the normal 180 degrees while cruising the steam is an indication of overheating. I'm going to make a long story short.  The problems found were like the perfect storm.  We found the exhaust/raw water mixing elbow had some pin holes allowing raw water to mix with exhaust prematurely.  The steam in the exhaust system took out the turbo gasket where it mounts to the manifold.  The bad gasket allowed exhaust gas to mix with the fresh water system and turn the coolant black.  That in turn affected the thermostat and also took out the fresh water cooling pump.  In addition we discovered growth on the inside of the raw water speed scoop intake that was restricting flow.  I felt like Sherlock Holmes finding all the gremlins but she is happy and healthy again.  Vigilance was a key factor in finding all these little problems before a catastrophic failure. Just another day in the life of a charter operator.  Sometimes it is not easy making it look easy.   Dorado showing in numbers   Blue marlin always exciting   Polo on the wire getting our Bomboy back   New Mold Craft lures and squids. Always adding to our arsenal.   Billfish liking the Mold Craft squids   Tournament ready!   Staying home once in a while isn't so bad   Miller time Jen Wren style   Found this corbina washed up on the beach.  According to  Wikipedia (who is never wrong) the largest recorded specimen was 28 inches.  Judging by my Barny Rubble foot this croaker has to be close.   Laundry     Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing   US cell 310 308 5841
  20. East Cape - The wall is to tall  Reflecting back to 1991 when Jen and I pulled up stakes from Southern California and moved to Buena Vista.  Compared to today that time was like the stone age.  There was only one phone in our little town and communication was very limited.  No internet, no cell phones and importantly during hurricane season no weather forecasting.  In those days all the local resorts pulled their fishing boats and closed up shop for August, September and into October.   I quickly found and experienced that during the time the resorts were closed and everyone booked out of here were some of the best fishing times.  When storms threatened we hunkered down but that wasn't often and to this day it is my favorite time of year.  August and September are the most humid time making it sticky and uncomfortable but the trade off is well worth it with calm seas and spectacular fishing. Communication has changed the game.  Now with cell phones and internet service we are plugged in and always aware of what is happening around the world.  Weather forecasting has become sophisticated and accurate.  Now we have plenty of warning of an approaching storm and time to react.  Enough so that boats and property can be secured before coming in harms way.  Now the resorts stay open giving anglers the opportunity to take advantage. Still, some are afraid their timing might not be good.  Others don't like the heat and humidity. Well, now visitors can get off the plane and jump in an air conditioned shuttle to arrive at air conditioned accommodations.  Even our fishing boats have A/C.  Those who have dared to try it keep coming back. I am reminded that June 11, 1991, at about 11am we experienced a total solar eclipse.  Yes, it got completely dark for several minutes.  I don't remember how it came to be but we got the special glasses and were able to watch the moon eclipse the sun.  It was an event I will never forget.  Looks like we will miss the one tomorrow.  Some say it is  because the wall is to tall for us Mexicans to see the eclipse.  I believe the truth is the path of the moon will shadow the upper middle part of the US and not reach this far south.     Yellowfin have been plentiful    That little Accurate Valiant is tougher than the average angler   Victory!   Cubera are the best!   Another hoo hits the deck.  Halco Laser Pro's rock   Love those smiling faces   We have had a lot of requests to fish the Bisbee Black and Blue October 25-27.  Now is your chance, Jen Wren III just came bacame available.   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing   US cell 310 308 5841
  21.   East Cape - Mid summer blues  The 18th annual East Cape Bisbee has been and gone.  Almost everything that can be said has but I'm going to weigh in with my take on this years event. It was by far the most action packed and exciting tournament in the East Cape's history.  This was the first year qualifying marlin over 300lbs were brought to the scale everyday, the first time a fish 430lbs wasn't big enough to win the daily and also the first time a daily didn't roll at least one day. Game fish jackpot was also very competitive with several qualifying yellowfin each day.  Jen Wren III got extremely lucky weighing the second largest dorado of the event.  Lucky because the boat with the largest was not entered in the gamefish pot which allowed Team Jones Fish to cash a check for $45,900.  Jones is no stranger to cashing checks finishing 3rd on Vaquera in a field of 186 teams last November at the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot.  The Bisbee's split the prize money and wrote checks to more different teams than ever before.  Congrats to my friends Andrew, David, Martha, Arturo, Theresa and Alex for all doing a great job.   Looks like we mostly kept it in the family. So... why was this such an action packed event?  Because East Cape is experiencing the best fishing in many years.  It has been nothing but smiles.  No more anglers returning frustrated or with long faces.  No more blaming the moon phase, the tide, the bait, the off color water or any other lame excuse that can be dreamed up.  It has just been solid fishing all season. Now it is midsummer and our weather continues to be outstanding.  Humidity is up with Tropical Depression Jova passing by a couple hundred miles south of Cabo San Lucas.  It is breezy today but so far there has not been one day this season weather has kept us off the water.   Midsummer blues on the bite   Tom Hughes, Team Jones Fish with a winner   Tournaments are fun, the winners circle is more fun   Gary Graham captured this great shotgun start image.  I think that is us third from the right.     Meanwhile, before and after the tournament and still going on, quality tuna are cooperating.   Nice sized tuna are a bit line shy and our Accurate Valiants are punishing them   Wahoo in the hood.  Win a VW on August 26th we are available for a last minute entry.   Now the tournament is over and the blues won't leave us alone   Sam and Zane ready for sashimi.     Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841    
  22. Ho Li Fook ... me know nutting...  
  23. Dear RB Members, I need some advice and/or suggestions on what to do about my 2008 Mako 212 center console's footrest insert (riveted in-place) that has "yellowed" over the course of 9 years. Please examine the inserted picture and let me know what my best approach or alternatives are towards a fix or replacement. Many Thanks for your valuable input.
  24. Here is my 2008 Mako 212 Center Console with Mercury 200XL Optimax and her latest upgrades. I have included the Before and After photos to give you a sense of placement.
  25. Just wow... I hope no one was injured. Do you have any information on how this started? Where is this catastrophe?   Rick
  26. Load more activity