All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Yesterday
  2. East Cape - Splitting the difference

OMG... What a lovely sound coming from East Cape This is really good fishing that you have done & These fishing pics also looks cool
  3. Last week
  4. Pathfinder 2400te (2008)

I'm interested PM me
  5. T-Top curtains

Nice one but something is missing here, You should post some more pictures that we can see.
  6. Earlier
  7. Do you still have the pathfinder 2400? Where are you located?
  8. Just glad I don't live in a trailer  From the perspective of a fisherman, not a wind sailor, for the last couple of weeks our weather has gone from excellent to spectacular.   According to the almanac the spring equinox starts March 20th.  Looking out my window I'd say spring is already here.  Punxsutawney Phil doesn't agree and has returned to his burrow for another six weeks. Kite boarders and wind sailors who rely on the wind for their sport have taken to cycling on mountain bike trails in our hills.  There has been a traffic jam at the Los Barriles bike shop.   The lack of wind has reminded me of Jimmy Buffett's "Son Of A Son Of A Sailor".  Unlike Jimmy I fell in love with the East Cape and have tossed "out my anchor" but like Jimmy, "I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer".   I captured this image from our deck this morning.  Lack of north wind for days on end backs up my theory that spring has arrived.  More evidence is the high 60 temperatures after dark and 80 degree daytime temps.  Phil can stay in hibernation, I'm getting ready to go fishing! The fish count has followed the weather and has gone from very good to wide open.  There is still little traffic as anglers are not prepared for the great conditions this early in the year but the few boats departing in the mornings are returning with their laundry out.  Three to five marlin released has been the norm this week with dorado, a few yellowtail and snapper in the daily reports. This is only the second week in February and anglers are already killing it.  Last year yellowfin tuna showed up in March and never left.  From all the signs I'm seeing with excellent conditions and an abundance of bait this is going to be the year we have been waiting for.     It's show time!  Next weekend we will be exhibiting, answering questions and taking reservations at the PCS Sportfishing show in the Orange County Fairgrounds.  The show is intimate and gives anglers good opportunity to spend time with exhibitors.  I pulled some strings and got us located directly across the aisle from the bar.  Stop by for a visit and I'll buy ya a beer.   Exciting Jen Wren news:   Winter maintenance on all of our boats will be complete next week. Staying ahead of the curve providing unparalleled service with the highest quality equipment, we are adding a new dimension to our arsenal that will give us an even bigger edge.  Stay tuned for photos in the coming weeks.   Vaquera, ready to fish next week.  Just waiting for a raw water pump for the gen-set and a new exhaust heat blanket   Vaquera starboard exhaust, new blanket here Tuesday.   Jen Wren interior restoration will be complete and she will be ready to fish next week.  Just waiting for new flooring that was lost in shipping.   In the middle of our remodel I was puckered up wondering what I had gotten myself into   Somehow it always works out.  My baby is lookin fine   Jen Wren III will be ready to fish next week. We are re-wiring a troublesome XM stereo and waiting on some upholstery   The Sea of Cortez is calling us.   Let's go fishing.   Mark Rayorteamjenwren.commarkrayor.blogspot.comwww.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishingUS cell 310 308 5841  
  9. T-Top curtains

If you want to stow your curtains onboard checkout the Clearstow boat curtain storage bag at www.clearstow.com
  10. Lefty is not a freak  We are not out of the woods of winter weather yet but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  As far as winter goes this has been a very mild one.  North wind yes, we have had enough windy days to satisfy kite boarders and sailors.  The thing is it hasn't been that can't stand it in your face wind that makes the surf pound so hard it feels like our house is shaking.  Cold yes, the thermometer dropped below 59 degrees a couple mornings.  This is tolerable compared to morning temps in the 40's winter normally brings.  It has been so mild my jeans, tennies and socks are still in the closet gathering dust.  I say not out of the woods because traditionally February is our coldest, windiest rotten weather month of the year.  In February's past I have not wanted to get out of bed in the morning and put my feet on the cold tile floor.  So far, not this year. There are few anglers in town but favorable winter conditions has allowed them to get on the water many mornings.  The water, which normally turns green this time of year, has stayed blue, clear and holding at 70 degrees.  There is loads of bait and marlin and dorado have been consistent.  The last couple of years these gamefish disappeared in the winter and early spring but now it is like the years of past. All signs indicate this fishing season is going to be a barn burner.  The stars are starting to line up so hang on to your hat.  Rancho Leonero and Palmas de Cortez are already booked solid for many  prime time dates as are many of the premier boats.  My recommendation is to plan ahead and get a reservation while there are still dates to get. We just returned from our annual camping trip to Mag Bay.  The landscape is breathtaking and pelagic bird life amazing as you can see in some of my photos below.  This trip brought outstanding weather and we feasted on fresh clams, shrimp, lobster and fish until I was practically in a seafood coma.  Add a couple bloody mary's and it was close to Utopia.  The 20 miles of bad washboard road is always a challenge rattling our teeth and beating up our rigs but we have always been able to overcome our breakdowns.  Not this year, John had to get a tow from a military truck to make camp.  He made it out to the highway but tarnished our perfect record having to leave his motorhome about 70 miles north of La Paz when it squatted at a service station and gave up the ghost.   It doesn't get any better than this.   Sunset at Clam Bay   Sunrise on the bay   Incredible amount of bird life   A photographer's paridise   Fishing the mangroves was not as action packed as some years but we managed enough to eat and also fill our freezer   When I first spotted lefty I though he was a freak with one oversized claw.  Looking around there was a whole family of them in the shallows and on the beach.   Lucky this military truck happened by to help us out.   This was a few years back.  Rick was having so much fun it was hard to leave.   Where's the water?  Extreme tides on the full moon makes clamming easy   Just part of the gig.  If you don't like adventure this might not be the trip for you.   Another year another breakdown.  If it was easy we wouldn't have the place to ourselves.   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841    
  11.           I love boating just a much as the next guy, but not even I could've ever expected catching an std from fish-people. I don't want you to suffer the same consequences as I, so please heed my warning and listen to my story.           It all began with a harmless boating expedition in Mexico as I have done countless times with my best pal Mark who is a frequent poster to this forum. We looked out upon the waves one dew-filled morning. The air weighed heavy down on our backs. >Mark: "There's a storm on the horizon... I can feel it in the air." >Me: "Please Mark, please tell me we can still go sailing! If not, I fear I may cry a thousand tears of sorrow. >Mark: "I could never say no to you (poopdeckfetish), let us hit those waves.          Mark and I then set sail with our eyes set upon a distant island laying upon the horizon. We departed in our vessel, nicknamed "Aslan's Crotch" because Mark stole it from illegal poachers shipping lions into the states. I'm not sure why he added 'crotch', but I'm always down. The waves crashed, and the seagulls screeched, but no noise could overpower the sound of our friendship. About twenty miles out from shore, the wind picked up speed and the storm-clouds gathered. >Me: "I think we should turn back Mark" >Mark: "But we are so close, we can't turn back now" *A wave crashed against the boat and 'Aslan's Crotch' rocked 45 degrees* >Me: "Hold me Mark" *Mark embraced me with his thick and hairy hispanic arms*             As the night came to be, the storms swept us onto the distant island we had sought after, although our ship had technically crashed. After departing the wreckage of the crotch we searched the island for food and other inhabitants but all we scavenged was a bag of LSD. Mark and I felt as if it were unreasonable to let it go to waste, therefore we took the tabs and listened to the entirety of the new Eminem album, my vision slowly diminished into a black abyss as Mark's voice drifted away.            I awoke that night to find myself tied up in a dark cave, I heard the voice of a woman. I noticed I was naked and so was Mark. Out of the darkness a mermaid squiggled upon to us.  >Mark crying: "Why are we here?" >Mermaid: "I heard you listening to the new Eminem album." >Mark: "So what?" >Mermaid: "I thought you gentlemen could use some top."             So it was, Mark and I lay getting our tallywackers sucked by a real mermaid. >Mark: "Hey this is actually pretty nice."  >Me: "Indeed." *both of us simultaneously nut*             Months later during the Holiday season. Mark and I lay in the living room of my estate awaiting Christmas morning. It's been several days since we went to go get checked for an STD at the doctor as both of our dongs were growing fish scales. That morning both of our wives left as after we dropped our pants trying to initiate a holiday gang-bang. So readers, next time you are stranded on an island the only piece of advice I have for you is to not get a blowjob from a mermaid named سوبر سامانثا الحجم. Now our penises are يعرج كما اللعنة.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          -poopdeckfetish                                
  12. East Cape - What a drag

Hi mark it's me again, glad you could hit me up with those poopdeck pics mate. I was reading through your post when i stumbled upon those pics of the poopdeck. You have a great poopdeck, I might say next to Jonah Hill you have the best poopdeck on this side of the Atlantic. Sorry you had the flu mate, if it makes you feel any better i can come down and give you comforting, and maybe a quick smooch or two. Anyway, please dm me soon on the boat ride, the brewskis are getting cold and i cant afford to keep em cold because my wife took all the money when she left me for the fuckface named Doug. -Love, poopdeckfetish :^)
  13. East Cape - I have learned not to measure

YO MAN!!! I noticed you were drinking a beverage with shrimp in it, might I just say that i LOVE shrimp and so does my ex-wife before she left me, now I don'y know what she likes because she won't answer my calls. Me and my oldest son used to go fish shrimp on the harbor but now he just calls me for money, he's always trying to get his hands on some heroin. You know what I'm sayin' Mark??? Anyways, just wanted to let you know that you are quite possibly the sexiest man I've laid eyes upon, you come neck and neck with Jonah Hill when he had a bulge. Now I guess you've claimed the thrown ever since he went vegan (gay XD). Anywhooozies hit me with a dm if you wanna go hit the waves sometimes and pop open a couple of cold ones. PS send pics of your poopdeck, it's my favorite part of the boat anatomy.  -Love, poopdeckfetish
  14. East Cape - What a drag  Folks from most of the US will not sympathize but our thermometer headed south of 59 degrees and it is cold!  Daytime temps are still in the middle 70's so flops and shorts are appropriate but I'm sticking with a long sleeve T.      Anglers bundling up in the morning are having success.  Dorado, striped marlin and sierra mackerel have been providing most of the action but a few yellowtail, grouper and snapper have also been in the count.     Jen Wren III crew member Armando Morales moonlights skippering a panga while our boats are out for service and posted this nice catch.   I started fishing back in the day before lever drag reels were invented.  Penn Surfmaster with 3 to 1 gears dominated the reel market until the Jigmaster with it's 4 to 1 gear ratio came along. They were pretty much the only reels I would see while fishing on open party boats.  Compared to today, the Penns were very crude and didn't even have ball bearings.  They needed to be serviced after every day trip changing drag washers, cleaning up burnt drag plates and general lubrication.     When I started long range fishing for bigger fish on multi day trips  a larger Penn Senator was the reel of choice.  We would sit in the galley after fishing all day and change drag washers in the reels because they wouldn't hold up for more than a few battles. Sometimes in battle my reel would get so hot we would dump cool water on the side plate.  One time a side plate actually exploded off the reel.  I would bring a dozen rods and reels which gave plenty of back up if the then inferior gear failed.     Later, the evolution of the reel went to lever drag.  The brakes seemed to hold up better but they didn't cast as freely as the star drag and neither had the stopping power for a real trophy fish.  Also,  all the reels had a jerky drag evidenced by the rod tip bouncing when a fish was taking line.     Then along came Accurate's twin drag reels.  At first I thought it was just another gimmick and didn't pay much attention.  Finally, about 12 years ago the legend and my good buddy Del Marsh gave me my first twin drag Accurate.  It was amazing how smooth the drags were.  There was no more rod tip jerking up and down which made it impossible for observers to tell if a fish was taking line.  Until becoming used to and comfortable with this phenomena we would fight the fish with the clicker on so the skipper and others were aware of what was going on.     Oh, "what a drag" the twin drag has turned out to be.  After catching a few fish on my new Accurate I figured it was time for service and called the factory.   They wanted to know what the symptoms were.  There were no symptoms, based on experience from using other reels I just thought it was time. They said just keep fishing.  It was amazing, the reel just kept catching fish after fish and never got tired.  At the end of the year the reel went to the factory for service. Upon return it was shocking to find the drag washer had not been changed.  To cut to the chase, we now have 3 deluxe cruisers with all Accurate reels and in all the years with all the reels and the daily beating they take we have only changed one drag.     Think about it, having drags on both sides of the spool rather than just one side like other conventional reels gives double the brake surface which equates to double the braking power.     What a drag! A new Twin Drag Accurate Valiant 800 like this one bagged a 400+ pending world record yellowfin tuna.  Small reels, big fish, what a concept.   Call me a wimp, 59 degrees is cold.  Our chimney is roaring.   Out of sight out of mind.  Discovered the rear motor mounts on the Jen Wren III generator needed a little attention.   Took a long weekend to look for cow tuna at Puerto Vallarta.  Our boats have props but it has been a long time since riding in a plane with them.   We couldn't find the cows at "Cow Town" but I caught this cool whale shot on my phone The only thing Captain Dave caught was flu.  11 bucks for an exam and shot in the butt.   Blue marlin on a 500 size Accurate.  Without today's drag technology this would be almost impossible.   While the US stock market soars, over the last month the US dollar has plunged against the Mexican peso.  This is not a drag for Mexicans and gives them more spending power.  In my mind it also indicates economists might not think this place is as dangerous as the news media falsely accuses it to be.     Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841    
  15. 2008, 45' DON SMITH 45 CDF Center Console For Sale Twin YANMAR 6LY-3 480HP Inboard Diesels w/Power-Vent® Marine Drive System Extremely Unique High Quality Boat! JUST A SPLASH - Just Listed at $420,000 VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: If you have been seeking out an extremely high quality center console in the forty-five foot size range that also offers an air conditioned cabin, galley, head and shower...you have just found it. The CDF model number for the DON SMITH 45 stands for Cruise-Dive-Fish and you'll find this boat to be simply perfect for all three! The kevlar construction makes this boat extra tough (even to military standards) and with the Power-Vent® Marine Drive design system she's able to deliver faster speeds than traditional inboard diesel boats, less fuel burn, along with much less of a draft compared to other forty-five footers. Throughout the deck you'll find ample seating for your guests along with lots of storage space. Not only does the custom powder coated tower comfortably seat three, it's fantastic for enjoying a spectacular view. BELOW DECK: Below deck, you'll find seating on both port and starboard sides. To port, a stainless steel sink; microwave oven; refrigerator; and stereo system. To starboard, your AC/DC panel, a privacy head with sink and shower; VIZIO TV mounted on opening cabinet door with ample storage behind and a large center hatch floor storage compartment as well. The cabin is fully air conditioned and the generator enables you to enjoy the air conditioning while at sea. ELECTRONICS and EXTRAS: Two (2) RayMarine FLIR HybridTouch eSeries Radar Masters; Two (2) YANMAR i5601E Multi Function Gauges; FUSION MS-UD750 Stereo System with Pandora, Sirus XM and Bluetooth; Raymarine SmartPilot ST-6002 AutoHelm Series; AZIMUTH 1000 Electronic Compass; Hydraulic Trim Tabs; Bow Thruster; and Electric Retractible Helm Windshield. ON TOWER; RayMarine FLIR HybridTouch eSeries Radar Master; Two (2) YANMAR i5601E Multi Function Gauges; Compass and Remote Spotlight. Also equipped with a generator; underwater lighting; outriggers; macerator pumps on the fish boxes; fresh water misting system on tower; four (4) fresh and raw water spigots throughout the boat; and all standard illuminated 2008 DON SMITH 45 CDF Helm Instrumentation. You do not want to miss out on the opportunity to be the next proud owner of this immaculate and very unique 2008 DON SMITH 45 CDF Center Console! Inquire today to arrange a personal walk-through. To fully appreciate all that this inside high & dry stored boat has to offer, make an appointment to view JUST A SPLASH in person! To view more photos, video from a recent sea trial run, and the full vessel specifications, visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site. Direct Link: http://www.goldengateboatsales.com/2008donsmith45.html Check out the Sea Trial Video on this boat on YouTube at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTgYa1WjBQ GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  16. I have forsale (2) COMPLETE MERCRUISER HP500 540 BULLDOG MOTORS - ready to drop-in - carb to pan, includes Mercruiser Offshore Racing exhaust, stainless risers, ALL brackets, original packing slips, manuals etc. These were purchased as 'back-up' motors for a 35 Fountain and were never used. $25K for everything BRAND NEW - BRAND NEW - NEVER FIRED.
  17. Nice shots.  Thanks for posting...
  18. East Cape - Splitting the difference  Angling traffic has been very light but the few fishermen getting out have found action. Sierra mackerel, dorado and even a few striped marlin have been in the mix close to home.  There has also been a good huachinango bite and scratch showing of yellowtail and amberjack on the high spots off La Ribera.  The showing of yellows and amberjack this early is an excellent indicator of a great Spring and I feel a whoop coming on. Also humpback whales are making more of a showing and can be seen from the beach breaching. Sea of Cortez water has been blue and very clear with temperatures now in the middle to low 70's.  When we don't have a whole lot of excitement to talk about the topic often goes to the Dodgers or our weather.  Right now East Cape weather is worthy of conversation.   We are going into our second week of January and I have to call this season unusually mild.  Typically, fishermen are pinned down to the beach and can't get out many days of the week because of strong north wind and pounding surf.  We have not experienced much of that and anglers have been able to get off the beach most mornings.  Where does that leave our town full of sailors who have come to kite board, hydro-foil or wind surf?  Mother Nature has been splitting the difference with calm beautiful mornings and windy afternoons. I look in the mirror everyday and wonder how I was so lucky to land in one of the best places to live on our planet.  Posted are some fun photos from our 2017 season.   There she blows! Spring humpback whale.   Beach fishing   Incredible roosterfish action   Staple of the East Cape, striped marlin   Big fish small reels, Accurate has defined the meaning   Double fun on Halco lures, what a wahoo year we had.   That is what a real Mexican campechana looks like   The master Captain Ron came to help with restoration.  We had a blast!   The end of this week's tale.   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841          
  19. East Cape - I have learned not to measure  Calm nights but windy days has made for very few departures this week.  Several mornings the wind stayed down long enough for tin boaters to get in a few hours in chasing sierra mackerel and small dorado.  Sea temperature has dropped to the low 70's but is still blue and clear. Several mornings from the beach I have sighted bait puddling, flying fish, sierra mackerel, jumping mantas, schools of porpoise and whales breaching.  Even when not fishing it seems there is never a dull moment on the Sea of Cortez. Last week I drove to Cabo San Lucas to do some holiday shopping.  Normally I take the no toll-toll  (they haven't been charging a toll since August) road from the San Jose del Cabo Airport straight to Cabo. On this trip I needed to stop in San Jose to pay our electric bills because for some reason CFE (electric company) would not accept on line payment. After getting the bills paid I decided to take Highway 1 to Cabo rather than backtrack to the toll road.  En route to my surprise there was a Pemex Gas station with a huge neon sign displaying fuel prices.  It reminded me that our fuel prices have been de-regulated and can now be set and adjusted by the independent operator that owns the station.   Holy smokes!  Starting to look like the U.S. Our small community only has two gas stations so there isn't much competition.  Interestingly enough the pump jockey where we trade said they planned on keeping their prices in line with stations in La Paz.  We will see how long that will last.  I anticipate watching prices inch up in 2018.   Another interesting comment by the attendant was that a lot of Americans get upset when filling gas cans and find that they can get more than 5 gallons in their 5 gallon can.  I have learned not to measure.  We need fuel to operate and just have learned to suck up the price and at times the short count.  Looking at the big picture this is still the best place on earth to live.   Sunrise on the Sea of Cortez   Gazing out on the sea, something is always happening   Looking ahead, we will be exhibiting at the Pacific Coast Sportfishing Festival February 16-17-18.  Stop by and see an Accurate Valiant in a fish bowl at the Orange County Fairgrounds   Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.       Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841        
  20. East Cape - Keep 'em honest  After a very calm stretch of weather the north wind picked up a few days ago.  It laid down today but fishing was slow.  Jen Wren scored one dorado and had another come unbuttoned.  The few other boats out there didn't have much to report.  Now, small craft advisories are called for tomorrow with heavy winds through Christmas.  Temperatures are cooling as well.  Tonight will be our first night to stoke the fire. On a typical morning after loading our anglers I will come off the bridge to introduce myself and talk about our game plan for the day.  Sometimes our guests know what they want to target but more times than not they ask what has been happening and for advice as to what would be the best chance for success. Some have caught marlin before and would rather not try for them again, others don't want the long boat ride it might take to find tuna.  The one fish I find lights everyone up is wahoo. Until the last few years I considered wahoo an incidental catch and very hard to target.  In recent years that has changed and on most any given day if anglers are willing to put in time we can catch or at least get them to bite.  I say get them to bite because wahoo is one of the hardest fish in our ocean to hook.  It is not uncommon to have 50 or 75 yards of line ripped off a reel after a vicious attack of one of our trolled Halco lures and then see the line go slack.  These fish are like a magician and can find as many ways to get away as Houdini.  Speaking of magic I must add, Accurate reels and Halco lures have been a magic combination for us.   Slow trolling live bait with a stinger hook.  How in the world can a wahoo do this and not get hooked? Amazing! 2017 provided excellent wahoo fishing most of the season and many days we had as many as 6, 8 or even 10 bites.  Other days were tougher and we had to work hard.  There were times I felt the fish were there and couldn't decide if we should stick it out or move.  There is an old adage "don't leave fish to find fish", but what does a guy do when they don't want to bite?  My good friend Jack Nilsen taught me another adage that has helped me.  "Keep 'em honest".  What is meant is don't give up too easy.  If you feel the fish are there work over the spot until convinced that they are not.  On serveral occasions when anglers have gotten impatient I have asked for a few more minutes to keep 'em honest.  The smiles tell the tale when we get the bite. Many anglers bagged that bucket list wahoo this year.  Posted are a few of my favorites.                         Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841          
  21. East Cape - Diary  The north winds of last week dropped surface water temperature in the Sea of Cortez from low 80's to mid 70's.  The sea has settled down and the weather has been gorgeous this week.  It is the middle of December and very unusual that we haven't lit up our fireplace.  It has been so unseasonably warm that even with our bedroom door open I have had to get up in the middle of the night and turn on our ceiling fan. Kite boarders and wind surfers counting on the generally predictable north winds have been pining around or have resorted to mountain biking on hillside trails.  With hardly any anglers in town there have not been many departures.  I don't have a first hand fishing report but rumor has it sierra mackerel fishing has been good for tin boaters and the few fleet cruisers that have been out are scoring on dorado and striped marlin. Looking through my photo library from this year I have discovered it acts like a diary for me.  It has helped me remember what an action packed and outstanding year is has been.  Yellow fin tuna showed up in March and went full speed all season through November.  One of the best parts was the fish stayed close so anglers didn't have to endure multi hour rides to get hooked up. While looking for a tuna photo from each month to post I discovered more wahoo photos for one year than we have ever had in the past.  This week I'm going with tuna and next week will share some incredible wahoo images we captured.  Many of our anglers got that bucket list hoo.   March   April   May   June   July   August   September   October   November       Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841        
  22. East Cape- Of all time  Other than the strongest north winds of the season and a Sea of Cortez so grumpy it is un-fishable there are no current events to report. 2017 season brought many notable events but the one that overshadows the rest in my mind is the spectacular rooster fishing.  I am among many who believe it was the best of all time.  "Of all time" is a big statement.  Living here 27 years I know all the old timers in town, hell, I have become one and can't find anyone that can recall in all of history the roosters putting on an act like 2017.  Jumbo fish started showing in May and the parade never stopped. Starting with June I was going to look through the seasons photos to pick some good images.  Well, I never got past June and have already found a load of killer shots illustrating my point.  Yes, of all time.                                             Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841    
  23. East Cape - Tag you're it!  East Cape has enjoyed extremely good weather for this time of year.  Until now there has been fewer than normal windy days and conditions have been excellent.  The water has stayed warm, clear and full of life.  Bait has been plentiful and game fish have provided lots of action.   Today is the first that I can really feel the effects of winter starting to dominate.  Strong north wind whooped up about 10am and forced me to close my office window to keep the disarray of unorganized papers from blowing off my desk.  Also, this morning I noticed the coconut oil we use to cook breakfast was no longer a clear liquid and had congealed.  Weather man says it's going to blow for a few days.  Yep, after the best season we have had in years, winter is closing in and going to stop the party.  The lights have flashed three times, the fat lady is clearing her voice and mother nature is getting ready to slam the door. Last year Gray's Taxidermy persuaded me to get involved with the tag and release program.  At first I was skeptical and didn't really understand the whole picture.  After having the entire Jen Wren crew go through an orientation in Gray's office my enthusiasm along with the crews grew. The whole tag thing has turned out to be so much fun.  Anglers get to name their fish and have come up with some hilarious ones.  There is a striped marlin swimming around out there named Donny Osmond.   The angler receives a certificate of release from Gray's and all the data, time, date, size and GPS coordinates are recorded.  The location of release is also plotted on a Navionics navigation chart which anybody can access on line.  Accurate Jack Nilsen named one after his granddaughter.  Now he can go home and show her on the map where a fish named after her has been released. The bonus is all the scientific data that is being recorded.  It is amazing how many tags are recovered.   So much time, effort and money is spent exploring outer space and we know so little about the behavior of gamefish in our oceans.  Gray's is doing their part to change that.  We have the tags and are having a great time doing our part to help them.   Meet Migulito   Jackurat tagging his fish   2017 will go down as the year of the monster roosterfish   Girls having fun   A pompano, three tuna, one pargo and partridge in a pear tree   Rainbow runners on the bite   Stan Lowery named his fish Hoto.  Don't think you will find that word in the Mexican dictionary.   Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841  
  24. Seems kinda rush to pinpoint bad construction of the boat. It could have been something like forgetting a candle somewhere or something. Its truth that some brands are going down the drain lately but hopefully that isn't a case here. Sure as hell it was a bad day for everybody.
  25. Los Cabos - Came to play  It was the second and last day of the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot.  I had stopped Vaquera on the outer Gorda Bank to make our second drift chunking Humbolt squid.  Making my way to the bow I pitched out a chunk Diego had pinned on for me.  Away went the squid along with my 100 lb test Momoi Hi-Catch top shot into the drift with Diego's chum.  Soon the top shot was gone and the 130 lb Diamond Braid backing continued to slowly pay it out. After a few more minutes the braid started to go tight.  Soon my spool slowly started to turn as I waited in anticipation.  A moment later I flipped the drag lever into gear and bendo.  I shouted to the stern I'M BIT!  Not getting a reaction I shouted again.  Team Captain Mike Daniels was watching Diego land a bonita just hooked and asked me "is it a good one?"  My reply was "oh yeah" showing him the Diamond Braid peeling off my Accurate ATD 50 and bent Calstar broomstick. I need to regress, this is a bit of a long story but bear with me.  We had all three of our boats registered to compete in the event.  As a team my skippers share notes but we all have our own ideas and formulate our own game plan. My plan was to fish the first day at Gorda Bank.  Last year at that location we landed a 353 lbs tuna and finished third place. The buzz was there were a lot of big fish in the Pacific at the Jaime Bank.  First day Jen Wren and Jen Wren III opted to fish that area.  Randy Wren (ironic but no relation) fishing on Jen Wren III along with Rob Jones (last year's 3rd place winner) landed a fat 186 lb tuna kite fishing with a Yummy.  It was early, they didn't want the fish to bake but it was too big to get in the fish hold.  I had to crack up hearing the story.  They persuaded Captain Polo to slide the fish into the boats air conditioned salon to stay cool.  Glad I didn't see it but guess anything goes when you are "tuna fishing baby...yeah!" Meanwhile, Vaquera with Team Tequila Teasers was fishing the inner Gorda high spot chunking squid.  The spot is very small and I was pleased we only had to share it with 5 or 6 other boats.  I could count 19 boats on the outer bank and didn't want to get in that mix. The morning was slow.  We would move up current and drift over the small spot chunking and chumming calamari.  My Simrad evo2 chart plotter was starting to look like pasta from our track.  At about 11:30  Estrella Norte approached .  The bright red custom panga is very distinctive.  Back in 2012 we were in the same location and both hooked up.  To my dismay they took home all the marbles with a 360 lb fish which dwarfed our 160 pounder at the scale. Anyhow they arrived on the scene and proceeded to do a short drift chunking squid.  We were just drifting off the spot when they moved and started to drift in the track we had just been.  They weren't there three minutes when the sea erupted around them with cows and super cows.  It lasted just long enough for them to get bit and was over.  We poured on the chum hoping the fish would walk down the line but it didn't happen.  Those guys have talent and when I saw them a couple hours later still laboring it was obvious they had a contender. Lines out at 4 pm came quickly and we had never had a smell all day.  Missing the only opportunity I was a bit deflated.  Even more so when returning to the marina and discovering Estrella Norte had set the bar at 338. Back to the second day.  Team Captain Mike wanted to go back to the high spot expressing he saw more fish there and wanted to get ours.  147 boat shotgun start and off we go.  The 25 plus mile ride went quickly and we were one of the first boats on the spot.  Setting up our first drift I looked south and apparently the whole fleet had gotten the memo.  Ten minutes later we were covered up with big yachts and it wasn't fishable in my estimation, boats were still coming.  I don't understand why but for some reason the whole armada was piling up on the inner bank.  It was like a horror show.  Looking through my Frazer Giros I could only see 3 or 4 boats on the outer bank.  We made the two and half mile move and were back drifting. Our second drift is when I got bit.  Finally getting Diego's attention he fired up Vaquera's motors and I hung on while we chased the fish.  After a time it started to settle down and I was able to walk it around to the stern and hand off to "Big Guns" Chris.  He and Mike tag teamed it for a while and then asked Diego to get in the mix.  The battle was straight up and down for the next hour and then the fish started to surface.  We could see it's huge shadow when it came up.  The fish laid on it's side glistening in the sun and I thought it was done.  Little did we know the fish was just doing a drive by to size us up and then sounded again. We pulled and tugged and were in a true Mexican stand off.  The pressure from our buttoned down Acurate ATD 50 was taking a toll on my team.  I had faith it would take a toll on the fish as well but didn't see it happening.  A couple times I tried walking the fish with the boat. As beat up as the team was the old geezer in the bridge was never invited down to have a pull.  I'd like to think it was because they liked the way I was operating the boat but it was more likely because they wouldn't have known what to do if I had a heart attack.  Finally after an epic 4 hour battle Mike sank the gaff as Diego pulled. Competing in a field of 147 it was obvious Team Jen Wren boats came to play.  At the end of the day our Texas team Real Tuna Hookers led by Ricky Martin won best dressed team.  The Texans also took first place in the show us your Costas contest.  Jen Wren III finished the first day in 6th place with 186 lb tuna.  Tequila Teasers placed second in show us your Costas and also took home the second biggest paycheck of the tournament weighing in a tuna 239 lbs. I can't say enough about the outstanding job the tournament staff did led by Pat McDonald.  There is a reason the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot is the most attended in Baja.  Because it is the best!  The parties, dinners, contests, weigh station and awards dinner, 11 events in all went without a hitch.  Congratulations to Pat, Tracy and all the sponsors that coordinated efforts to put on the greatest tournament in Mexico and maybe the world.   Who are those masked men?  Winners of new Costa sunglasses   Can't believe the team slid this butterball in the salon for safe keeping   First kite fish for Randy Wren   Day one sixth place, came to play!   Tequila Teaser getting worked   Climax   No Disneyland in Cabo so we went to Dairy Queen   Good thing the corner liquor store wouldn't cash our check.  We would still be partying.   Real Tuna Hookers came to play winning best dressed   Thank you Costa for your generosity.  A lot of anglers walked away with new sunglasses.   Not just a tournament, it was a party to remember.   I couldn't be more proud of our whole crew.  A lot of preparation goes into tournament fishing.  We all worked extremely hard and were rewarded for our efforts.       Mark Rayor teamjenwren.com markrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing US cell 310 308 5841  
  26. 2007, 24' SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CENTER CONSOLE Single Gas YAMAHA 250HP Four Stroke Outboard with SS Prop Always Inside Stored in Fantastic Condition - Turn-Key & Ready to Go at Only $39,500 VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: This SEA HUNT TRITON 240 CC delivers exactly what the serious fishermen demand in a sport fishing center console boat.  She's powered up right with a single gas YAMAHA 4-Stroke Outboard. This boat is in fantastic condition inside and out and features multiple insulated fish-boxes and 30 gallon lighted aerated calming blue livewell, cockpit and bow bolsters with upgraded new 3" cushions, all stainless hardware and Yamaha Command Link digital gauges. To help deliver the perfect ride you'll find recessed trim tabs, and hydraulic steering as well. The aft fold-out beach seat offers additional seating for your guests. The cockpit of this model is designed to have abundant room for 360° of fishing. The hull design delivers a soft dry ride that's second to none in a 24 foot center console! Included is a new GARMIN echomap93SV GPS; QUEST VHF Marine Radio with Distress; Electric Bennett Trim Tabs; SONY AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth; Forward and Aft Spreader Lights; and standard safety gear. MORE DETAILS: Triton builds their boats without any wood and designs them for zero flex in the stringer system. Maximum flotation is added for safety and comfort underway. The unibody construction is performance engineered delivering a better ride and feel with more structural strength. The transom is designed to spread the stresses of the motor over the entire width of the boat. Cockpit and Features The forward casting deck was spacious with a nice single step up from either side. Cleats are pop-up style to keep from snagging lines while working a fish around the boat. The ground tackle stores in a compartment up front that has keeper slots for a Danforth style anchor. This boat will not last long on the marketplace. Inquire today for a personal walk-through or you will miss out on a great buy! To view more photos and the full vessel specifications,  simply visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site.   CLICK HERE to view the Primary Listing Page for this boat. GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  27. 2003, 24' CHAPARRAL 243 SUNESTA DECK BOAT with 2016 Trailer Included Single Gas MerCruiser 300HP 350 MAG MPI Stern Drive Always Inside Stored in Fantastic Condition Turn-Key & Ready to Go! Just Listed at Only $24,995 (2016 Aluminum Dual-Axle Trailer Included!) VESSEL WALK-THROUGH: You will not find a cleaner, better maintained CHAPARRAL 243 SUNDECK on the market! This boat has always been stored Inside and given constant TLC over the years and it shows! She powered up right with the larger MerCruiser300HP 350 MAG MPI engine package to give you plenty of get up and go power when you need it. The first thing that you'll notice heading out on the water on this one, is that she delivers and extremely smooth ride and how quiet the engine runs. She's rated for fifteen (15) passengers and you will find more than ample storage throughout the entire boat including under the seat storage compartments forward and aft along with an extremely large storage compartment center deck for fishing poles, water skis, and extra boating adventure supplies. The seating on this 243 is extremely well laid out with large aft wrap-around seating (which includes a snap-in pole to create a tanning bed with the filler cushion and/or dinette table). The contoured bow seats do double duty as twin reclining chaise lounges. Each helm seat features a convenient flip-up bolster for additional visibility when needed. When island exploring, having forward and aft boarding telescopic boarding ladders makes boarding this 243 Sunesta a breeze! At the dock, you'll also find that the starboard side boarding area is a huge plus. ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Large Privacy Head Area; Marine JBL AM/FM/CD Stereo System (4-JBL Marine Speakers) with Helm and Aft Swim Deck Remote; There is also an extremely convenient remote to starboard by the aft swim deck area; Dual Batteries with selector switch; Wet Bar with Sink; Woodgrain Helm; Tilt Steering; Black Bimini Top; Matching Black Cockpit and Bow Storage Covers; Two Anchors (one forward, one aft); Large aft Swim Platform; Transom Fresh Water Shower; Large Aft Storage Locker Compartment; Very Convenient Forward Self Draining In-Deck Cooler; DC Power Plugs; Dual Docking Lights; Cockpit Lighting; Ritchie Compass; Depth Sounder; Electric Bilge Pump; and all of the standard 2003 CHAPARRAL 243 Sunesta illuminated helm instrumentation. RECENT UPGRADES and SERVICE: Brand New 2016 ROCKET Aluminum Dual Axle Trailer with Surge Brakes, Spare Tire with Mount (a $5,000 Value); New FIREBOY® 125 CU FT Automatic Fire Extinguishing System with Helm LED Functioning Indicator (a $1,000 Value); New Horn; Full Outdrive Service with New Gasket, I/O Drivetrain Service on Stern Drive Gimbal Bearing and R&R Trim Relays; Engine Service and Oil Change w/Filter; New Sterling Volt Meter; New Thermostat; New Updated 2017 Fuel Cooler Kit Installed including New Fuel Filter, New Fuel Lines, and 43 PSI Regulator Kit; New Anchor Bow Roller; New Oudrive Indicator Gauge; and Outdrive Painted with MerCruiser Outdrive Paint (black) in September 2017. BROKERS REMARKS: If you have been holding off on a purchase to find the best maintained totally turn key, fully serviced ready to go Deck Boat, your search is over! Call today to view this immaculate 2003 Chaparral 243 Sunesta Deck Boat in person now because rest assured, you will not find a better one like this for under $25K anywhere...especially with a 2016, Dual-Axle Aluminum Rocket Trailer Included at No Additional Charge. To view more photos, video from a sea trial run, and the full vessel specifications,  simply visit the FEATURED LISTINGS page at our GoldenGateBoatSales site.   CLICK HERE to access the Primary Listing Page for this boat and to view the Sea Trial Run video. GOLDEN GATE BOAT SALES Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers Phone: 239-430-BOAT(2628)
  28. East Cape - A different time  October has been a cra cra crazy and it has been a while since my last report.  Water temps remain at 85 degrees and except for our first 3 days of north wind the Sea of Cortez has been calm like a big pond. The bite has been outstanding with Yellowfin tuna, dorado, wahoo and blue marlin providing constant action.  Finding the larger tuna on porpoise schools has been very difficult but the high spots off Pescadero, La Ribera, Rincon and Los Meganos have provided limits of the smaller grade for anglers using calamari and sardines.  Wahoo have been cruising the same high spots and it has not been uncommon to get bit off while drifting for tuna. The buoys off Pescadero and Cabo Pulmo are loaded with bait and the tidy blue water is a perfect environment for marlin and sailfish.  Many of the blue marlin have come slow trolling live baits. For those looking for inshore action Bob Solee released eight roosterfish yesterday on Vaquera. Tonight Mexico falls back and I'm going to get an extra hour of sleep.  Tomorrow it will be a different time. Getting our first north wind is a reminder that our season is all but over.  This is the time we will start to get more and more windy days and sea temp will plummet.  By Thanksgiving kite boarders will have taken over and we will be stowing away our fishing tackle. Tuesday we will be moving all of our boats to the marina in Cabo San Lucas to compete in the Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot.  The motto of the tournament to "fish hard and party harder" and that is our plan.  Last year we finished 3rd in a field of 187, this year I have first place in my cross hairs.   "Tuna fishing baby, yeah." Posted are a few of many fun photos on my desk top that were queued up for October reports I never got around to writing.                         Mark Rayor teamjenwren.commarkrayor.blogspot.com www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing   US cell 310 308 58418 5841
  29. Load more activity